MPRIS and Firefox

Lately I’m messing around with Conky. One of the functionalities I want, is to display the current song’s title and artist somewhere in my desktop. The songs are played either through Quod Libet or on Firefox.

I found a Conky conf that uses two bash scripts so as to retrieve and display the metadata (through MPRIS). For example, for the song’s title, the script is:

#!/bin/sh
BoolS=$(qdbus org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.firefox.instance43741 /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player PlaybackStatus)
BoolC=$(qdbus org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.quodlibet /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player PlaybackStatus)

if [ "$BoolC" = 'Playing' ];
 then
  echo $(qdbus org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.quodlibet /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player Metadata | awk '/xesam:title:/ { print}' | sed -e "s/^xesam:title://")

elif [ "$BoolS" = 'Playing' ];
 then
  echo $(qdbus org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.firefox.instance43741 /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player Metadata | awk '/xesam:title:/ { print}' | sed -e "s/^xesam:title://")
fi

The metadata for Quod Libet worked fine from the beginning.
For Firefox, I spent quite a bit of time to find out how to call it. Thanks to playerctl -l, I saw that it was reported as firefox.instance43741. So everything works fine… until I close the browser. When it re-opens, the instance has changed and I have to re-enter it manually into the script.

So, is there a way to automatically enter the current instance number into the script, instead of hard-coding it everytime?

Hi @jimmy213

you need to pass your instance to a variable in adding it into your bash condition, adapt it to make it work, you see the idea:

#!/bin/sh
BoolS=$(qdbus org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.firefox.instance43741 /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player PlaybackStatus)
BoolC=$(qdbus org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.quodlibet /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player PlaybackStatus) 

if [ "$BoolC" = 'Playing' ];
 then
  echo $(qdbus org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.quodlibet /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player Metadata | awk '/xesam:title:/ { print}' | sed -e "s/^xesam:title://")

elif [ "$BoolS" = 'Playing' ];
 then
  InstanceNum=$(playerctl -l)
  echo $(qdbus org.mpris.MediaPlayer2."$InstanceNum" /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player Metadata | awk '/xesam:title:/ { print}' | sed -e "s/^xesam:title://")
fi
3 Likes

I modified it a bit and it works as I wanted. Thanks @FLVAL :grinning:

1 Like