Moving Drive or Restoring Image to Different Hardware

From everything I read, mileage varies on this. I know this from experience with Windows as well.

I wanted to to be clear on what my options are if my computer hardware dies, such as my motherboard for example, whether or not I can my Linux install will simply just work in what would be like a new computer, or even I did move it to completely new computer. Also, as I’ll be doing backups, if I had an image backup and restored from it to a new computer.

I tried this out by moving a dual boot of EOS/Manjaro from one computer to another, both Intel CPU/iGPU, similar generation of CPU, but EOS and Manjaro do the same thing. There are graphical anomalies all over the screen jittering around. EOS does it as soon as I would start to see desktop or loading icons. Manjaro does it just after it hits the desktop.

What can I do to try to resolve this and what is the best way(s) to plan for having to do this for real some day?

Linux is a LOT more forgiving of doing this, as it doesn’t have need of the hardware registry that MS use to curb piracy, nor the driver model. The only problem I have ever seen is where GRUB boot parameters are set to account for specific Intel or nVidia hardware for the GPU. So do check those out, using the command line editor of Grub to see what is being switched.

Thanks. I tried messing with that and didn’t know or find anything relevant to type in. Both machines had Intel iGPU though.

1 Like

These switches are normally in /etc/default/grub.
My troublesome Asus laptop is intel iGPU with nVidia Optimus, so don’t necessarily copy what I show you, but research it and see what may work for your specific hardware.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet cryptdevice=UUID=d43e725e-024e-4343-8a75-ea09c2995510:luks-d43e725e-024e-4343-8a75-ea09c2995510 root=/dev/mapper/luks-d43e725e-024e-4343-8a75-ea09c2995510 loglevel=3 nowatchdog intel_pstate=disable loglevel=3 reboot=acpi pcie_aspm=force acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009'"

it is a bit off-topic, but with Nixos you can move
to other hardware easily

You will need correct graphics drivers and their settings. Those very well can be different on different machines.

If you plan to use only Intel graphics, you can

• blacklist other than Intel graphics drivers
  • install or remove package xf86-video-intel, depending mostly on how old the machine is
  • possibly remove (or move elsewhere) graphics related files from /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

Of course, testing is the key.

Note that booting may be different as well, either UEFI or legacy BIOS booting…

And don’t forget to create backups of any important data you have on the disk.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.