Moved Into EOS and Arch Update Question

You can do it, too.

Not sure how that would be a problem, but I guess Itā€™s possible. An easy way to see whatā€™s up is just type:

checkupdates

and itā€™ll tell you whatā€™s waiting. I think it came with pacman-contrib - but either way it works well :grin: Or - if youā€™d rather have a count:

checkupdates | wc -l

Or - run conky with a check for updates service. Or - tweak the EOS-notifier to your liking. Or (all of the above) :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s how Iā€™ve always done it.

From the Arch wiki:

The bash script checkupdates , included with the pacman-contrib package, provides a safe way to check for upgrades to installed packages without running a system update at the same time.

Conky all the way, I need this on my desktop :stuck_out_tongue:

If youā€™re referring to yay, then the answer is no. It is not a safety risk, it does exactly the same as sudo pacman -Syu, but as a bonus, it will also check for AUR updates after the pacman update is done.

2 Likes

Yes, but if you do sudo pacman -Syu and then do not update (press N), thatā€™s the same as doing sudo pacman -Sy, right? The database is already refreshed, isnā€™t it? :thinking:

Conky in action:
pkg-check

2 Likes

Yes. If you type yay, let it refresh the database but then donā€™t let it update anything you have refreshed databases but you are not updated. This is still technically OK.

However, if you then install something, you could be in a partial update condition.

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s exactly what I meant. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

No, pacman -Syu is looking for package updates, pacman -Sy is checking the database

But then itā€™s the user who creates this partial update condition, not the command.

pacman -Sy refreshes the package database.
pacman -Syu refreshes the database and performs the update.
yay is the same as pacman -Syu (plus the AUR stuff).

Now, if you run pacman -Sy your database is refreshed, so if you install a package it can be of a higher version than packages on your system, thus breaking dependencies (so-called ā€œpartial updateā€ scenario). So you should not do that.

However, if you run pacman -Syu just to check if there are updates available (without actually updating - you press N to not download and apply the updates), your database gets refreshed the same way as if you ran pacman -Sy. So if you then install something, you can get in a partial update scenario. So, this is generally not a safe way to check for updates.

Thatā€™s why checkupdates script exists.

2 Likes

Our lines got crossed, I thought that you meant that yay -Syu was unsafe i.c.w. pacman -Syu.

yay -Syu is redundant, itā€™s the same as just yay, so it is generally unsafe if you use it only to check for updates (i.e. you press N and not perform the update), because it refreshes the package database.

In general, neither yay nor pacman are safe to check for updates in the repos.

However, yay -Qua is safe and can be used to check only for the AUR updates.

I always use checkupdates and yay -Qua to see if there are updates available, when I donā€™t have the intention to update straight away.

I understand it, but I read the initial comment wrong.

These are the two comments Iā€™m referring to. But this is a downside of a forum. Whilst typing an answer the thread grows along and you miss the context. Thatā€™s what I meant with our lines got crossed. :wink:

1 Like

I feel like I am watching one of those deliberate miscommunication skits.

5 Likes

Just another variation of the old kidā€™s game ā€˜Telephoneā€™ā€¦ :grin:

3 Likes

Yes, I found that in the post, but my issue was that I could not read the news updates, which kept flashing. I would click to read and then it just went away. I use pamacā€™s notifier for the updates. Is the EOS Update Notifier tied to Firefox directly?

No, it works independently, but if you use Pamac, eos-update-notifier is overkill indeed. For the really necessary manual interventions, we will notify you also on the forum or Telegram.

1 Like