Mounting hard-drives with incorrect owner and group

In my KDE EOS system there are 4 disks. SSD with /, /home, and swap. All is OK there. The three hard-drives are where I’m stumped. I mount them as needed with Dolphin, but they get mounted with the Owner:1000 and Group:1000. There is no Owner:Group of 1000:1000 on my system. I’m 1001:1001.

Temporarily I’ve changed the ownership:group of all files on the affected disks to “myusername”:“myuserame” and read, write, delete seems to work OK. But this seems like a band-aid solution.

What’s my next move? Change the /run/media/“disk” mount point permissions to Owner:Group 1001:1001? Create /mnt entries with owner and group of 1001:1001 for each disk and mount via fstab?

Edit:
This may be a holdover from my former Manjaro OS since I moved from Manjaro to EOS. I just checked on my laptop that still runs Manjaro Xfce and I’m user:group 1000:1000.

I think there was an issue with root permissions not sure if this is related. Here is the link: Fix /root permission necessary

Please check with @fernandomaroto on this as i see you said you moved from Manjaro so it probably is something else.

I did this earlier before I noticed the disk foobar. So I don’t think it’s related.

@fernandomaroto do you think this problem was because the disks had been previously maounted in Manjaro?

On a side note: Manjaro starts user UID and GID at 1000. Does EndeavourOS start with 1000 or 1001? On Manjaro I had a default UID and GID of 1000, and on EndeavourOS I was assigned UID and GID of 1001. I tried Googling and it seems Arch starts with 1001, but I can’t be sure of that.

I’m not big on the file permissions stuff. Are you using ls -l /boot/ as an example to show permissions of a particular partition or something else you are looking at?

I think this will work as a user, if not root will do it

id username

will list all UID and GID for username and any groups username belongs to.

Pudge

Mine is 1000 and 998 for wheel. He said that he switched from Manjaro and he is 1001:1001 but his 3 hard drives mount as 1000. Does 1001 mean it’s root?

Here is a short explanation on UID and GID

The computer doesn’t understand a user named “rick”, so it converts “rick” to a number for the computer to use. Just like the internet servers do not understand “EndeavourOS.com” so a DNS converts it to an IP Address that the internet servers understand.

Okay i think i understand so probably because he moved from Manjaro over to Endeavour the user became 1001? Maybe?

No, it didn’t become 1001, it always was 1001. Manjaro assigned the number 1001 to his username when that username was created. Different distributions assign UID and GID differently, evidently that is what Manjaro chose to do. You said your GID for wheel was 998, in Fedora wheel is 985 if I remember correctly. This is the main problem with Linux. Assigning UID and GID is a common and essential task in linux. Every Linux distro should follow a described convention on how things in Linux are done. If convention says the first UID is 1000, then it should be that way on ALL linux distros. UID is just one of many things where different Linux distros ignore any convention.
Ooops, sorry for the rant.

Pudge

1 Like

Seems that way. In Manjaro your uid was 1000, in EndeavousOS it defaults to 1001.
So the solution is to change ids, as you already did, now they have id 1001. But if you plan to still use Manjaro, then the opposite numbering problem arises there.

As an altenative workaround, you might consider changing the group id of those files to be common number in EndeavourOS and Manjaro, and add you user to that group.

2 Likes

Your explanation i read said when you add another user it becomes 1001 so i just thought maybe because of moving over from Manjaro it bumped it up one. Anyway i guess his concern was because it’s different than what he mounts the drives as, but i can’t really advise on that. But also he’s saying Manjaro starts at 1000?

1 Like

Thanks, I used id username as well as looking in /etc/group and /etc/passwd.

1 Like

For now I have no plans to dual boot EndeavourOS and Manjaro, so changinging the ids to 1001 will work. In the future if I do dual boot, a common group is an excellent idea.

I just checked and Arch is 1000 and Endeavour i guess is 1001. I didn’t know that so i learned something again. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is an interesting topic. The liveuser is 1000, so i belieave calamares creates the new user as 1001, since 1000 is already being used.

I’ll check if i can change that to 1000, is more standard. Or even deleting liveuser before creating the new one, this may solve as well.

thanks for reporting @CMarch

3 Likes

Ok i made a simple adjust here. Next version the new user will be id 1000.

In case of reinstall:

• Users that already installed endeavouros with a separate /home partition may need to do the reverse process from 1001 to 1000.
1 Like

I never thought about that. In a live iso situation liveuser = 1000, then create a new user while still in live ISO = 1001.

Good analysis and trouble shooting on your part.

Pudge

1 Like

beginner’s luck or “wild guess”. Like @ricklinux said, i’m always learning something new here.

:+1:

1 Like