Modifying grub installer, to fix problem

Only things i can give you is logs for emergency mode :frowning: i donā€™t know either, thats such a problem for me and i donā€™t really want to go windows + linux VM :confused:

Well that is what i see is that it doesnā€™t identify the device properly. With my dual boot Windows 10 os-prober will find it first and identify it and then when i run grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg command it installs no problem. Your first picture of terminal shows itā€™s wrong.

When i run the only script i made for Arch it works too! No error :frowning: but here it gives somes

Currently no idea, maybe iā€™ll get some help tomorrow

I havenā€™t had to install grub this way before so iā€™m not sure because you are still in the liveiso? But i just know thatā€™s how it works. If os-prober doesnā€™t see it itā€™s not going to work. So something is not quite right.

Nah ive done everything under arch-chroot /mnt, not under live iso as you can see on the iso, i did in the same order that i used to do for Arch

@ArKrant So here is a question then. Do you have other SSD drives in the computer? Because what i would be checking and maybe you are just missing it on the install is that the window at the bottom of the installer screen shows the proper drive to install grub to. The reason i say that is because these m.2 drives with their different naming scheme it usually defaults to /dev/sda so you have to change it or make sure itā€™s right.

Nope nothing others than the usb stick (/dev/sda) and my m2 ssd drive (/dev/nvme0n1)

I would still make sure that window where itā€™s asking to put grub is correct. That is all i can think right now if you attempt to install grub with the live iso instead of after. See if you can post the log to paste bin for journalctl -xb with the wiki instructions.

can you try installing without removable option?
are you sure you chrooted to /mnt and not sda2 mouted somewhere else?
I donā€™t use efi so i canā€™t help much more. Maybe @joekamprad can give some ideas.

nope chroot into /mnt for sure

1 Like

here are the logs for journalctl -xb http://dpaste.com/27X4GN2

Could you just try as @fernandomaroto has suggested. This helps everyone also to get answers. Here you are using the Calamares installer which is another development. It is not the same process as an install script or booting off and an Arch ISO and doing the install. I will have to leave the log for them to look at as i can only see what has failed but it does help answer why for me. I know that it should install the normal way and like i have said before i would boot off the live ISO and use gparted to create a GPT which will delete all partitions and then close gparted. Run the installer and select erase disc with or without hibernate and see how it goes letting it install grub.

I will look into it tomorrow, donā€™t have time anymore. I can install it like i would for an Arch Linux, is there a way to install endeavourOS after an Arch Linux clean install? (If you see what i mean)? Because well this seems to fail at a moment (probably my fault ofc) but iā€™ve done it taking care to make no mistakes so yeah, i donā€™t really see why this fail :confused:

Give it a shot and see what happens. Yes you could do an Arch install but a lot of the distros are using the Calamares installer now so it would be nice to do it the way it works for Calamares because what works on an Arch install method is different. I have done Arch the arch way and i have done many install scripts but EndeavourOS is my favourite.

Well Arch Linux seems the only way for me to not get in troubles, ive tried so many installer (manjaro/endeavouros/ubuntu/fedora/etc) everytimes it fails at same point grub, thatā€™s why i went to arch, since you build everything from start. But im lacking installing an desktop environment from here (i3 mostly) only one that works without trouble is gnome de. But meh kinda ugly not gonna lie.

Yaā€¦ Iā€™m not a big Gnome fan. I hope you give it a shot my way and see if it installs with grub. What have you got to lose. :smile:

I checked your logs file, you donā€™t have the last Bios installed on your machine even if itā€™s your is recent in caseā€¦

Type: BIOS
Version: 01.08.00 Rev.A
Release date: Aug 14, 2019

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-1050-g1-notebook-pc/22060470/swItemId/ob-235847-1

Did you select in your bios your UEFI SDD ?
On Archlinux website :

Default/fallback boot path

Some UEFI firmwares require a bootable file at a known location before they will show UEFI NVRAM boot entries. If this is the case, grub-install will claim efibootmgr has added an entry to boot GRUB, however the entry will not show up in the VisualBIOS boot order selector. The solution is to install GRUB at the default/fallback boot path:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=esp --removable

Alternatively you can move an already installed GRUB EFI executable to the default/fallback path:

mv esp/EFI/grub esp/EFI/BOOT
mv esp/EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi esp/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI

If you want it to work with success, follow the advice from :
@ricklinux with Gparted to rebuid your head gpt partition then 550Mo size not 300Mo for your EFI and go with Calamaresā€¦ or
@fernandomaroto and @Pudge and Archlinux

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --bootloader-id=grub-efi --recheck

and not removableā€¦

Hi,

Will try my best when back home
To be sure i didnā€™t missed any steps i will :

• Reset BIOS to factory Defaults
  • Update it
  • Start EndeavourOS
  • build partitions myself
  • Start auto-installer
  • build grub

And everything should be done?

Hello @FLVAL I looked at the log also to double check the bios version and date. It has a different date and version number but doesnā€™t show the Rev. A If you look at ALL the previous bios versions they are all designated Rev. A So the current version 1.08.00 dated 07/15/19 doesnā€™t show the Rev. A
The date is about a month difference also as the 1.08.00 Rev A is dated 08/14/19. Because all the previous Bios are designated Rev. A it makes me wonder too. Updating the Bios wonā€™t hurt thatā€™s for sure. I just did a UEFI Bios update on my Asus Tuf Z370 Gaming Pro board yesterday. Itā€™s the 13 update to that board since it came out in 2017. I do a lot of firmware flashing and updating and always have. Now i can run more of the latest Intel processors that just got released and the board has support for optane memory also plus a bunch of other features. Iā€™m already running the i7 8086K Intel Anniversary Processor so upgrading is unnecessary as it is 4Ghz base - 5.0 Ghz boost :grin:

Anything to add/change to the order/things i will try tonight? 1 comment ago