Missing HOME folder

You should be careful of random, unverified advice from strangers on the internet, especially on YouTube…

DistroTube is not bad, I quite like him, but even he occasionally gives terrible advice.

If you’re unsure, ask here on the forum, that’s the safest way to get help. Here people also say stupid things, but they are usually corrected quite quickly.

6 Likes

yay and paru are very similar tools. Feel free to use whichever you prefer.

2 Likes

See this:

I also recommend against using Pamac (and any other GUI package manager), but people seem to like it… It’s not as terrible as Discover (which is really not meant to be used with Arch-based distros, and is, by default, absent from KDE on Arch).

4 Likes

@boomer
Don’t feel bad. There are a number of Arch based distro’s out there that use discover. I even have it on an Arch install. Anything can go wrong even using pacman things can go awry. Not necessarily pacmans fault. It’ s the same with using Pamac. It’s not recommended way to do updates. I typically update using the update from the welcome app. If not i use yay or pacman. But i have and i do sometimes use discover. So I’m not the one to be lecturing you. I’ll probably get lectured myself just for having discover. :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s not lecturing, it’s just friendly advice.

You can use Discover if you want. For all I care, you can use a bucket of water to update your OS. Just don’t hold it against people who point out that the outcome of that might not be what you had in mind. :wink:

2 Likes

Now you’re lecturing me. :roll_eyes:

Edit: That’s okay… i can take it!

1 Like

Linux (including EndeavourOS) is all about choice… that also includes BAD choices, though :grin: The other thing about Linux in general is the multiplicity of opinions…

2 Likes

My Dad was a professor at the University of Toronto - so I believe in the place of a good lecture!

:exploding_head:

1 Like

You got that right. Some people are just super opinionated…like you know always telling you stuff! :rofl:

Yeah, sure. Linux gives you the freedom to do things to your computer some (opinionated?) people might consider bad.

1 Like

I’ve also been using " Welcome app ". Maybe that is strongest way to update.
Thank You for Your information.

Sorry about my bad english.

2 Likes

That is also fine.

There are many valid ways to update your system.

• The welcome app or UpdateinTerminal which is the same thing
  • Using a helper such as yay, paru, pikaur, aura or trizen
  • Using one of the gui applications built for Arch-based distros octopi, pamac-aur or bauh

We all have our personal preferences but all of the above options will ultimately get your system updated.

2 Likes

I just use sudo pacman -Syu and run yay -Syu when I see an AUR update. Otherwise, I just stick to the good old pacman. Dependable and robust.

4 Likes

A little more about Discover from Nate Graham, a KDE Plasma developer:

The truth is, Discover has an a very difficult job. It needs to aggregate data from multiple online sources (distro repos, Flatpak, Snap, store.kde.org) and display everything well, trying to de-duplicate cases of identical apps. It needs to handle network downtime for any or all of these sources. And for distro repos in particular, it needs to use an abstraction layer (the PackageKit library) to talk to the system’s native package management system, because each distro has its own, and asking Discover to learn how to talk to all 20 or so of them is not feasible. So your experience with using Discover to get apps from your distro heavily depends on how well the distro’s developers maintain the PackageKit plugin for their package management system. These range in quality from quite good to terrible.

It’s just an inherently hard thing to get right. For what it’s worth, GNOME Software (the GNOME equivalent) gets a lot of the same complaints that Discover gets, because it is trying to do the same thing and suffers from the same challenges. These are just hard problems to get right. More developers could help! :slight_smile: Aleix is really the only one working on the backend; I mostly do front-end stuff, trying to make it prettier and improve the UI. But greater stability, reliability, and speed are also needed.

And his response to “What distros have the best Packagekit implementation?”

Debian/Ubuntu and Fedora/RedHat-based distros, in my experience. Arch is hit-or-miss, and on openSUSE distros it’s quite terrible. No personal experience with other distros beyond these, but I suspect their niche status would lead to a poor PackageKit implementation (just speculating though; take it with a grain of salt).

Both these comments are from a recent Reddit thread.

1 Like

Thank You for messaging.

This forum is awesome. Quick answers.
I’m not going to think about installing/using other operating systems.
This is best operating system for my old PC’s, either desktops or laptops.
Very satisfied. You self can decide what you need :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The issue here isn’t really discover. You can use discover to update things other than repo packages.

The issue is PackageKit which is what discover, gnome software and apper use to install/update repo packages. There are several issues with packagekit on Arch-based distros.

• The most significant is that packagekit doesn’t support manual intervention. This is a fairly critical feature on Arch-based distros. You can easily break your system this way.
  • It also doesn’t support AUR packages so you will need to have a separate way of updating those.
  • By default, it doesn’t require a password before performing package operations.(This can be fixed by changing polkit rules though)
  • Since it doesn’t use pacman/alpm, it doesn’t honor any of the settings in /etc/pacman.conf
5 Likes

but… is the issue that system does not connect your home folder with the user is solved?

4 Likes

e.g. no simultaneous/parallel downloading!

:exploding_head:

Sorry, I don’t understand your message.
I have home- folder. I was only asking about message that I received after made update with a help of “Discover”.
Now I know that it shouldn’t be used with Endeavouros system. It’s for Archlinux.
I uninstalled it. Should use eg. “Welcome app” or “YAY” for updating the systen.

System is running nicely. No errors.

2 Likes