Migration from Ubuntu to endeavouros but

I have been using Ubuntu for a few years now and have been happy with until lately. The OS has been slowing down and I don’t like how the package management is handled with Snap, for example some apps don’t work when installed via snap.

I have been eager to move to a less is more OS and feel like giving endeavouros a try. I have downloaded the OS and will try it, but I have some questions in the meantime if you don’t mind:

1. Laptop Specs.
Works OK in Ubuntu, although I have some issues with the graphics driver with HDMI output every now and then, especially after updates. I just use the VGA output. I suspect the problems arise with the Intel/NVidia NVS 4200M combo GPU . Sometime when I list the GPU hardware I get Intel® HD Graphics 3000 other times The NVS 4200M.

Dell Latitude E6420, 8G RAM, 500G HD. Full spec below

2. Printer
I have a HP OfficeJet 6500A printer. I have been using the printer and scanner without issues on Ubuntu. I assume it work in endeavouros with correct package installed

3. Desktop
I have been using Gnome with Ubuntu. I suspect that some of the issues is related to Gnome. Takes a long time to boot up/shut down, some programs take a few minutes to start for the first time, etc, etc.

I know the desktop is user specific, but what desktop would you suggest? I do a lot of python programming (PyCharm) and electrical/electronic hardware development.

4. Suggested partition
What is the suggested partitioning. Currently I have a 30G partition for root, 450G for home and 12G swap

Sorry, the below table does not show properly in forum

Laptop Specifications:

H/W path           Device      Class          Description
=========================================================
                               system         Latitude E6420
/0                             bus            032T9K
/0/0                           memory         64KiB BIOS
/0/4                           processor      Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
/0/4/5                         memory         32KiB L1 cache
/0/4/6                         memory         256KiB L2 cache
/0/4/7                         memory         3MiB L3 cache
/0/41                          memory         8GiB System Memory
/0/41/0                        memory         8GiB SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1333 MHz (0.8 ns)
/0/41/1                        memory         DIMM [empty]
/0/100                         bridge         2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller
/0/100/1                       bridge         Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port
/0/100/1/0                     display        GF119M [NVS 4200M]
/0/100/1/0.1                   multimedia     GF119 HDMI Audio Controller
/0/100/2                       display        2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
/0/100/16                      communication  6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1
/0/100/19          eno1        network        82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville)
/0/100/1a                      bus            6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
/0/100/1a/1        usb1        bus            EHCI Host Controller
/0/100/1a/1/1                  bus            Integrated Rate Matching Hub
/0/100/1a/1/1/4                communication  DW375 Bluetooth Module
/0/100/1a/1/1/5                multimedia     Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_FHD
/0/100/1b                      multimedia     6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller
/0/100/1c                      bridge         6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1
/0/100/1c.1                    bridge         6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2
/0/100/1c.1/0      wlp3s0      network        Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
/0/100/1c.2                    bridge         6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3
/0/100/1c.3                    bridge         6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4
/0/100/1c.5                    bridge         6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6
/0/100/1c.5/0                  generic        OZ600FJ0/OZ900FJ0/OZ600FJS SD/MMC Card Reader Controller
/0/100/1c.5/0.1                storage        O2 Micro, Inc.
/0/100/1d                      bus            6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
/0/100/1d/1        usb2        bus            EHCI Host Controller
/0/100/1d/1/1                  bus            Integrated Rate Matching Hub
/0/100/1d/1/1/1                bus            USB2.0 Hub
/0/100/1d/1/1/1/1              input          Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)
/0/100/1d/1/1/1/2              input          USB Multimedia Keyboard
/0/100/1d/1/1/8                generic        5880
/0/100/1f                      bridge         QM67 Express Chipset LPC Controller
/0/100/1f.2                    storage        82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode]
/0/100/1f.3                    bus            6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller
/0/1                           system         PnP device PNP0103
/0/2                           system         PnP device PNP0c02
/0/3                           system         PnP device PNP0b00
/0/5                           input          PnP device PNP0303
/0/6                           printer        PnP device PNP0401
/0/7                           generic        PnP device DLL0493
/0/8                           system         PnP device PNP0c02
/0/9                           system         PnP device PNP0c01
/0/a               scsi0       storage        
/0/a/0.0.0         /dev/sda    disk           500GB TOSHIBA MQ01ABF0
/0/a/0.0.0/1       /dev/sda1   volume         28GiB EXT4 volume
/0/a/0.0.0/2       /dev/sda2   volume         425GiB EXT4 volume
/0/a/0.0.0/3       /dev/sda3   volume         11GiB Linux swap volume
/0/b               scsi1       storage        
/0/b/0.0.0         /dev/cdrom  disk           DVD+-RW TS-U633J
/1                             power          DELL 5G67C13

Moderation Note: Fixed output formatting

Welcome to the forum!

When you wrote:

…not a single question followed after that. :thinking:

Perhaps it is better to ask the questions after installing the OS.

You have to use markdown. Look it up.

1 Like

Welcome to the world of EndeavourOS! :smile:

Your Nvidia graphics card seems not supported by the latest (460 series) proprietary driver. If you want to use the Nvidia card with proprietary driver, you should use the Nvidia 390 series driver. Also the open source Nouveau driver should work, but it is not as powerful as nvidia driver. Depends on your apps.
And there’s always a possibility to use only the Intel GPU and blacklist kernel’s nouveau driver.

I have the feeling that HP printers are well supported. But if you have problems, please ask more after you have installed the system.

In general, Arch based systems have much newer software than Ubuntu. So be prepared to different issues! :wink: I’m not saying that issues will come, but if they come, they just may be different.
As a DE suggestion, I’d say Xfce is worth checking. Our offline install mode installs a nicely themed Xfce. After offline install, you’ll need to update the system as the packages are no more up-to-date. The online install gives a choice with DEs and an up-to-date system, but for Xfce the theming is the vanilla Xfce (but can be changed easily in the Welcome app).

And if you have a HDD disk, changing it to SSD provides IMHO a great speed improvement.

Your partitioning sounds OK, but… there are alternatives, as always. :wink:

• Increase the root size? Depends on what apps you are going to install. After install it typically is far less than 10GB.
  • Combine root and home partitions?
  • You can use swap file instead of swap partition.

So combining everything into one partition makes the question about partition sizes irrelevant. But of course that is not always possible. Depends on what you want to do.

2 Likes

Welcome to the fun forum @xenotek :partying_face: :tada: :balloon:

2 Likes

First of all, welcome!

HP Printers are generally well supported by installing hplip

There is no right answer here. Everyone can chime in and tell you what their favorite desktop is but it is just personal preference. Except for deepin, they pretty much all work fine.

If you like gnome I would stick with it to start. You already have things to learn when you switch from Ubuntu to EOS, why try to learn another DE at the same time.

You can partition the disks however you want. What you have there looks fine to me if you are BIOS/legacy booting. I think it would be equally good to just have a single ext4 partition and use a swapfile. That being said, there are infinite number of other options that would also be good.

It really depends what you data looks like.

1 Like

welcome … for your migration question ! Only one way you find out :blush: Jump in and if sink that what the EOS community here for :wink: We have you in deep end soon enough! :innocent: + all the above is good advice :blush:

3 Likes

I think the will work with the nvidia-390xx-dkms 390.141-2 driver version maintained by @jonathon

1 Like

I can see one:

Do I win a :frog: ?

3 Likes

Oh, it seems the OP pulled a sneaky on me! At the time of writing my post, the OP did not contain a single question. Check the edit history.

frog_incognito_72

4 Likes

I think the OP was really looking for your opinion on snaps. :rofl:

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re in a good place. Welcome.

If they were looking for an opinion on snaps. . . I would say that I like them so much I don’t want to take away from others who use them.

1 Like

It sounds like your laptop has Optimus graphics, meaning it switches between the built-in Intel and NVidia graphics based on need. You probably can disable this in the BIOS; otherwise, you should be able to find a howto on setting up Optimus correctly.

1 Like

@jruschme
Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Pudge

1 Like

IIRC, an E6420 supports a UEFI as well as BIOS booting, but I can’t say that I had the greatest luck using it. Probably some odd limitation like 32-bit only.

Thank you.

It sounds like your laptop has Optimus graphics, meaning it switches between the built-in Intel and NVidia graphics based on need. You probably can disable this in the BIOS; otherwise, you should be able to find a howto on setting up Optimus correctly.

This correct. At the moment EOS is using the Intel part of the GPU.

Screenshot from 2021-03-14 10-57-30

On my Ubuntu machine it used the NVS 4200M config. I have seen the Optimus section on the Wiki, will check it out.

Just an update on my progress.

I have successfully installed the latest EOS with Gnome on my machine. Used a 500G SSD and was able to install UEFI based partition. Still kept root and /home partitions though. Takes about 45 seconds for my system to reboot. System is very snappy and I am impressed so far.

I have installed most of the packages I need. Had to use docker and a mongodb container, but got this going today.

Next is setting up the printer.

I have not played around with graphics just yet, but everything seems to work with no issues.

Shout out to everyone who gave advice, this excludes @Kresimir who had the most to say with no input at all :wink:

Will keep this topic up to date with my progress

3 Likes

Welcome to EnOS’ community!

2 Likes

You weren’t talking his language. :frog:

2 Likes