Migrating to new graphics hardware?

So I recently started using EOS coming from Manjaro, and I’m absolutely loving it! However I noticed that it automatically installed with Nvidia drivers (which makes sense since my laptop does have an Nvidia DGPU), and this isn’t too big of a problem as it seems to be working great so far! (Much better than Manjaro ever did), although I will soon be upgrading to a Framework 16 with the AMD DGPU, and I’m curious what the process is of migrating to new graphics hardware, as I plan on using my current install on the new system, so I don’t have to go through the setup process again.

I’m still generally pretty new to Linux, so some guidance would be very appreciated!

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AMDGPU

I’m assuming you’d like to copy the existing install from a machine to another which has different hardware.
Is the GPU the only difference?

A fresh install should be easy, as AMD GPU usually works without issues.

But if you really want to copy the existing install to the new machine, there are a few things you need to consider:

• The bootloader needs correct (=different) UUIDs of the disk partitions. See your
    /etc/fstab for the UUIDs.
  • You probably should uninstall nvidia related driver packages on the new system. AMD GPU driver is xf86-video-amdgpu.
    Note: the installer would take care of that.
  • There may be other drivers that need changing, e.g. wifi and ethernet, and possibly more.

Not sure if this will be all, but at least these need to be taken into consideration.

What I wouldd suggest is

• First, make a backup (to an external drive) of your personal data on the current laptop.
  • Make a fresh install on the new machine if you are not in the mood for some tinkering. :wink:
  • If you plan to use both machines, plan how to use/share the personal data that you previously backed up. If you don’t share the data, then it is easy.
1 Like

Huh, yeah, I didn’t quite consider other hardware, but I’d understand why that’d be problematic.

My goal would to be to have as minimal interruption as possible, as the time it takes to get all of my applications and packages setup along with my Plasma preferences and zsh configuration (which I’m still trying to get where I want).

Ir’d probably be something I could do in a very caffeine driven weekend, but I’d definitely like to avoid any pain where necessary. Not really sure if there are many good solutions for this, and I suppose that’s primarily what I’m asking.

on my desktop machine I replaced nvidia for amd. While still on nvidia I removed the proprietary drivers, dracut and rebooted and made sure nvidia closed source was not being used anymore. Then I swapped the card for AMD and all is well!

Here is what I would you do if I were going to “migrate” my packages and configuration to a fresh install.

In the old install:

• Backup the whole of your home directory: your personal data plus all the .files and .folders where almost all the configuration on the user level is kept.

• Make a list of all the native packages installed in your system (those found in the sync data base):

pacman -Qqn > native.pkg.list

• Make a list of foreign packages (for example from AUR):

pacman -Qqm > foreing.pkg.list

• Backup /etc for the system-wide configurations

In the new install:

• Reinstall what is needed from your native.pkg.list (I assume that your system is fully up to date):

sudo pacman -S - --needed < native.pkg.list

• Have a look inside the list of your foreign package list and install them manually from AUR for example

• Assuming that you are going to install the same DE, you could restore your personal data and .files and .folders from backup.

• Finally, if you had done system-wide configuration under /etc in your old install, restore them from backup on a per case basis.

You should be up and running in pretty much no time.

I may have missed one or other details but I am sure other forum members looking in here will chime in and provide their suggestions.

1 Like