Migrated SSD and GRUB Disappears

Excellent customer service team at Framework shipped me a new core laptop unit because of a faulty input cover. On the previous machine, I installed onto a SSD a dual boot W11 & EndeavourOS system with GRUB. AMD Ryzen edition.

I am writing to you from the EOS live environment. The laptop boots into Windows fine, but the GRUB menu no longer appears. I have already disabled secure boot.

The only bootloader that appears in the BIOS menu is the Windows bootloader.

In KDE partition manager, my EOS partition appears.

I am hoping for a solution that doesnt require me to wipe my EOS setup. How can I get GRUB back or reinstall it?

Thank you.

In the live session:

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p6 /mnt
sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/boot/efi
sudo arch-chroot /mnt

In chroot:

grub-install

If everything goes well, quit chroot by typing exit followed by enter. Reboot.

If you get any error message at any step, please stop following through and post the whole of the terminal output back here.

1 Like

Hi pebcak,

Thanks for your quick reply. I will do as you advise.

Is it necessary to mount all of the partitions before I embark on this? For example, /dev/nvme0n1p5 is a large data partition that I do not want to brick.

No, only the two partitions as indicated in my previous post. Those would be your EnOS’ root/system partition and its EFI system partition.

Thanks. Installation went off without a hitch!

The drives are locked by BitLocker, which means I have to go into W11 and unlock them, I guess. Thanks, pebcak!

Ryan