MEGA users: perhaps you find this of interest

Lets say for instance your house burns down, how are you supposed to recover data from the burnt remains of your PC and Backup server or Backup drives?

as part of a backup strategy offsite storage is basically required. You need a minimum of 3 copies, 1 local, 1 on a separate system, and 1 off site. Most people cant really afford the infrastructure required to legitimately make off site storage solutions. Cloud providers offer the hardware and redundancy required, you just need to take realistic precautions and encrypt your data yourself prior to transit.

2 Likes

Ok, please explain me the ā€œreal needā€ that would not fit on to a USB drive!?

Or should it rather be a ā€œfelt needā€?

Im not sure what youre asking in regards to ā€œreal needā€ as that question makes no sense.

as for using a USB drive as a ā€œbackupā€, thats a very good way to end up with data loss/theft (assuming unencrypted) which a foreign government agency recently found out the hard way. If you encrypt the data yourself you are the only one with access to it so there isnt a reason to care about what your cloud provider does as they cant do anything with it anyway.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/city-admits-data-on-460000-residents-lost-after-night-out-drinking/ar-AAYMwrQ

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t even thinking of any ā€œillegalā€ matters to store, to be honest.

So far Iā€™m just lacking any understanding of where the pro-cloud folks could be coming fromā€¦ as Iā€™ve asked above.

Cloud-storage seems a really, really silly thing to me, so far!

Cloud storage isnt inherently bad, its a great tool for people who require or want the redundancy millions of dollars of investment can provide. Trying to maintain your data locally with high up time and minimal data loss is borderline impossible as the average joe/jane.

Being so paranoid that you wont even use cloud storage even after encrypting your data youself is beyond tinfoil hat. Its a tool, and if you use it in a way that makes sense and keeps your data secure on your own terms then what is the issue?

5 Likes

Encrypt, upload if you really need to.
If you donā€™t need to, or you find the idea ā€œreally, really sillyā€ then donā€™t.
There is no objective truth to the whole thing.
Do or donā€™t as you please.

2 Likes

Ok. So I have to finally confess, Iā€™ve never been in the position of daily online-trading assets worth of a dollar.

I care for my One Last Silver-Dollarā€¦

:rofl:

Lots of raw video of your children growing up?

Also, keeping an offsite USB drive up-to-date is somewhat difficult. I still keep an offline offsite copy of critical data but it always seems to fall behind as I donā€™t keep up with it when I get busy. My cloud backups go every night.

1 Like

im not sure youre understanding anything ive said as nothing ive said involves day tradingā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m afraid, I never got you guys in the first place? So what am I not getting? What the heck does my cloud-provider need to know before I die??!

Ok, letā€™s settle on that :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sorry? Am I being surrounded by spooks?

dumbfoundedly-lookinā€™

Me too actually :wink: :sweat_smile:

:skull_and_crossbones:

Iā€™ve well understood the argument of encrypting things before uploading to a cloud.

Yet, I still doubt this being a ā€œvery smart measureā€. National services perhaps find such things to be a rather small challenge.

Again, this was not where I was coming from.

I despise any clouds in general. Just saying it here, again, and so far any arguments to explain to me otherwise did not ring a single bell in me.

if data encryption was so easily broken then it would be entirely pointless, I think the issue here stems from your lack of understanding the topic. Im no expert, but i encourage you to seek information on it.

Youre essentially saying you have a bias, there has been good points contrary to your bias but youve simply ignored that or misunderstood it. Weā€™re all guilty of bias at some point, but its best to try and avoid such staunch bias and refusing to see any value in the opposing idea.

I think you should look into cloud storage, backup strategies, and encryption to better round out some understanding of it. The first statement i quoted in this reply alone tells me you have a very limited understanding of the topic at hand and your bias isnt an informed one.

I dont mean this in any way as an insult, just encouraging you to maybe broaden your horizon just a tad.

3 Likes

Although, I have to admitā€¦

yes, Iā€™m getting old and more dement at times (i.e. living in the moment). And I cherish my good old tinfoil hat.

I am using iCloud for syncing my calendar and contacts.

But Iā€™m not storing anything else in their cloud. And thinking furtherā€¦ Whatsapp has access to my contacts.

:blush:

Thank God, my newest iPhone has a larger display, and I can even use it for surfing, after my 6s didnā€™t seem to suffice for that any longer.

Pure hellā€¦

:skull_and_crossbones:

But this does not work if you use MEGA for example as the cloud storage for your mobile device. I started to upload my iphone pictures to MEGA. There is no way to encrypt before send.

yeah, its not doable on every single device unfortunately

This quote is more meaningful if it also includes the first sentence and last sentence of that paragraph. The original blog from MEGA reads:

The whitepaper published today represents the gold standard in cryptographic research, and we are extremely grateful for the privilege of having been chosen as a target. Seeing how seemingly innocuous cryptographic design shortcuts taken almost a decade ago backfire under scrutiny by three of the sectorā€™s brightest minds is both frightening and intellectually fascinating. The very high threshold of exploitability, despite the broad range of identified cryptographic flaws, provides a certain sense of relief.

Full statement can be found here:

What remains at the end of the day?

1. They have reacted fast. The issue is fixed.
  2. Other cloud providers could face similar issues. This remains to be seen.

I use a de-googled Android phone. What you said above made we wonder if there are any apps for encryption of photos for Android. I found this one:

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/dev.leonlatsch.photok/

I havenā€™t tried it yet, but I am curios if it would work for this purpose. Iā€™ll give it a try later on when I get a chance.