Media\Storage Drive

It shouldn’t matter as long as it is on a line by itself.

1 Like

Only a question, I want to understand: What does the -R stand for here? I have always done it this way:

sudo chown $USER:$USER /data

Okay so I’m confused? So i make a directory /data. I was thinking that the folder would be data on the 4TB drive but it is?

Edit: I was just going to make a directory without the /?

I think it is recursive?

Recursive, it chowns the directory and everything inside it.

No, the root of the partition is mounted at /data

2 Likes

Again going back now. If i now make other directories on that drive normally. sudo mkdir ??? Then are they automatically able to be browsed and copy and delete from within as if it’s in home?

Edit: All I’m trying to do is be able to move files to and from that drive to and from other folders or download directly to it?

It should work just like they are in your home directory.

You only use sudo to create the initial directory because it is directly off of /. If you use sudo to create other directories, it will cause permissions problems.

If you follow all the instructions from above than, yes, everything should “just work”

Why not just try it?

I am in the process of doing it. Just want to know details because i’m not Linux Guru. :rofl: I’m a wannabe user.

One other stupid question. Because home has certain folders such as Videos and Music and Documents. If you create other folders on this drive with the same names does it work or that is something you shouldn’t do.

I’m not so sure … :smirk:

I’m okay with certain things but i lack a lot of experience with other stuff. I’m bash illiterate so i have to think hard. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

When you do a symlink, it mounts over the directory. So in the steps above, we:

• Move the existing directory, which means there is no longer a ~/Videos
  • Symlink /data/Videos to /home/ricklinux/Videos - This makes it so that both the places are actually the same.

EDIT: There was an extra step in my instructions above. I just fixed it.

Which one? I haven’t done any symbolic link stuff? I just added the entry to fstab and created the /data directory, mounted it and chown.

Edit: Not sure what you changed?

Well…if you choose not to do the symlinks, than the stuff in /data will be completely separate from the stuff in /home so it won’t matter.

So making symlinks are only for the existing folders that exist in home?

Edit: Sorry if i don’t quite get it. So if you do a symlink of Videos does that mean the directory gets taken out of home and placed on the 4TB drive or it still exists?

Right now i have it working with the entry in fstab. I can copy a file to the drive and remove it.

Have you read these two things?

and

That is the instructions and an explanation of what it does.

So maybe i don’t want the symlink then because i still want to keep these folders as they are. So if i create folders with the same name it won’t matter?

Yes, they are different spots so it won’t matter

But if you create the synlink you say it’s the same place. I was just wanting to know if you do that then there is still a videos folder in home and one on the 4TB drive? Or not? I’m just asking because if it is and you delete a file in one then it’s gone in the other?