Mechanical keyboard problem

Morning freaks!
I have a problem with my “CM Storm Rapid I” mechanical keyboard. It’s a 88% TKL board with Cherry Brown switches and served me splendidly the last couple years, on all my PCs and various Linux distros. Also EOS was never a problem. But since I upgraded to AMD one or two weeks ago that keyboard is acting up. It always types out various letters no matter how briefly I press on the respective key. :frowning:

Is there some special driver for Cherry switches, CoolerMaster keyboards or AMD B550 mobos I must install? Or does anyone here have any other solution?

Thankies
xoxo

Sounds a little strange - but I would first test out the various USB ports you may be attached to! A 2.0 reacts differently than a 3.0 or a 3.1, especially with mech keyboards. Almost certainly the port you chose will be specced as other than what you used to be attached to.

I had lotsa fun trying to make Corsair behave across a KVM - and it took some ‘testing’ and a 3.0 switch separate from the KVM to ‘cure’ it. Somethjing to do with the feed speed from a mechanical…

1 Like

Hi Freebird, thx for your quick reply. My board is a Gigabyte Aorus B550 M-ITX with no USB port slower than 3.2. Which is nice on one hand might be bad for traditional keyboards. :roll_eyes:

Hmm, maybe I should research CoolerMaster’s website for some special driver …

I had a problem with a USB device and put an old hub between them it worked much better. :thinking:

3 Likes

I was about to mention that possibility! Great minds - and all that…

2 Likes

What a great idea! As it so happens I still have an old 4-port hub in some drawer somewhere. Lemmy try that.
Wissssh meeeee lucccccccck… :grimacing: Obvioussssssly ddddidddddddn’t wwwwwwworrrk ssso goodd.

Tryyyyyyying nowww wwwwiiith an eeevvernnnn oldddeeeeeeeeer USB 111…0 hub … OOOOOOh myyyyy :nauseated_face:

2021-03-07_10-17 the upper ones look like USB 2 connectors to me… but ITX one do not have then :wink:
2021-03-07_10-23
only internal you have a connector for usb2:
Internal I/O ConnectorsOnboard USB: 1 x USB 2.0/1.1 header:
2021-03-07_10-26

2 Likes

Cool, my box is open anyway, so I shall try to locate that thing. But weird that the USB 1 hubs didn’t help Don’t they slow it all down?

1 Like

They might -0 and they might overdo it, too. USB 2.0 may be the sweet spot… (isn’t hardware fun?)

1 Like

Make sure to check for BIOS updates and also take a look at the USB settings in the BIOS for the legacy devices option and make sure it is enabled.

2 Likes

connecting an USB1.1 hub to a usb3 port… if it is compatible it will still be connected to the usb3 port … and the chip behind it… so if keyboard needs usb2 you have to connect it directly to the usb2 port.
2021-03-07_12-00

2 Likes

Legacy USB support is Enabled. At the end of my wits. :neutral_face:

@Orca
I think the problem is with your keyboard! You need to set the settings. I think is FN + F5 for 1X

User_Guide-English.pdf (196.8 KB)

1 Like

@Orca
Was this any help? I just wondered because i also have a cooler master mechanical keyboard and it works fine on EndeavourOS. I was just wondering if maybe you accidentally had the speed keys set. Mine has 1x and 8x

1 Like

Just tried it and … wow! It werked!!! Thx so much! :hugs:
But I can’t see how the settings could’ve changed in the 10 secs while unplugging it from my secondary desktop into the new one. All I did was rerouting the cable, didn’t even touch the keyboard. :thinking:

1 Like

The gods of static are not to be ignored… :grin:

3 Likes