May have found my new home!

Hi! I’ve been using Linux almost full-time (except for a few games and other proprietary stuff) since about 2015, mostly with various LTS Ubuntus from 14.04 to 18.04 as well as Mint which is also Ubuntu based, but like so many of us once I got the hang of Ubuntu, I started feeling more curious and adventurous (and concerned about the future of Canonical) about what else was out there.

I learned to use VirtualBox to install and try out other distros including Debian and Manjaro. I had read some about Arch and didn’t have the patience to get that working manually, and Manjaro seemed nice in some ways but I found the process of installing AUR software through pamac-gtk extremely frustrating, all kinds of compiler errors and it didn’t seem to know what to do with dependencies.

Then I did some more reading and found out about Endeavour, and the more I read it seemed like a comfortable halfway point between Arch and Manjaro, easier to install than Arch but more vanilla than Manjaro and still encouraging me to learn more command line stuff. And what really clinched it was YAY! Yay made it infinitely less frustrating to install the AUR packages I wanted, it knew how to handle the dependencies and everything just like I was used to from Synaptic or apt.

Definitely looking forward to playing around with Endeavour more in VirtualBox and possibly installing it for real!

5 Likes

Thank you and welcome on the forum, playing around with the distro on VirtualBox certainly is a great way to get used to the system.
If you have any questions, don’t hesistate to post them over here.

Welcome, if you encounter any problems, don’t doubt and come to the forum, we are happy to sort it out!

This is what led me to EndeavourOS as well. For me, it is a “cleaner” experience than Manjaro and an “easier” experience than vanilla arch.

So, as a fellow user – welcome!

1 Like

in few words : Welcome !

Endeavouros is a welcoming community with Kiss in mind, :slight_smile:

A warm welcome to our forum bwc1976!

I’ve found this distro a great halfway point as well. I’m not afraid of the command line; however I do read what I type on the command line before I tap the Enter key. I figure that way it saves a lot of grief for me (mostly).

You’re going to find this community very welcoming, and where there is no such thing as a ‘dumb’ question. How else are we as humans suppose to learn if no questions are asked?

If you make this distro your new home, I’m sure that the developers would be grateful for your confidence; and we look forward to helping you in any way we can.

Welcome @bwc1976
It looks like you did your homework! It’s nice to hear you say this. Not including a GUI package manager was a big part in the the decision that yay was included. Pacman is your friend it will always be there. I really hope you decide to install EndeavourOS. You won’t be disappointed.

2 Likes