Marathon games don't load

I have a weird problem with the Alephone/Marathon games…Evil, Red, Phoenix and RubiconX not loading on my XFCE system.

The thing is, is that when I did an offline install of EOS and installed the alephone-git engine, they worked just fine. I did a reinstall, opting a live install and now can only get the original three Marathon games, Marathon, Marathon2 and Infinity to work.

Trying to download the conversion games seems to follow the same course as the original games, yet, when I click on it’s icon from the start menu nothing happens.

[meurglys@ma3a ~]$ yay -S alephone-red
:: Checking for conflicts…
:: Checking for inner conflicts…
[Aur:1] alephone-red-1.0-1

1 alephone-red (Build Files Exist)
==> Packages to cleanBuild?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==>
:: PKGBUILD up to date, Skipping (1/1): alephone-red
1 alephone-red (Build Files Exist)
==> Diffs to show?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==>
:: (1/1) Parsing SRCINFO: alephone-red
==> Making package: alephone-red 1.0-1 (Thu 28 Jan 2021 06:50:50 PM)
==> Retrieving sources…
→ Downloading MarathonRED.zip…
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 17.5M 100 17.5M 0 0 4980k 0 0:00:03 0:00:03 --:–:-- 4979k
→ Found alephone-red.sh
→ Found alephone-red.desktop
==> Validating source files with sha256sums…
MarathonRED.zip … Passed
alephone-red.sh … Passed
alephone-red.desktop … Passed
==> Making package: alephone-red 1.0-1 (Thu 28 Jan 2021 06:50:56 PM)
==> Checking runtime dependencies…
==> Checking buildtime dependencies…
==> Retrieving sources…
→ Found MarathonRED.zip
→ Found alephone-red.sh
→ Found alephone-red.desktop
==> Validating source files with sha256sums…
MarathonRED.zip … Passed
alephone-red.sh … Passed
alephone-red.desktop … Passed
==> Removing existing $srcdir/ directory…
==> Extracting sources…
→ Extracting MarathonRED.zip with bsdtar
==> Sources are ready.
==> Making package: alephone-red 1.0-1 (Thu 28 Jan 2021 06:51:00 PM)
==> Checking runtime dependencies…
==> Checking buildtime dependencies…
==> WARNING: Using existing $srcdir/ tree
==> Entering fakeroot environment…
==> Starting package()…
==> Tidying install…
→ Removing libtool files…
→ Purging unwanted files…
→ Removing static library files…
→ Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries…
→ Compressing man and info pages…
==> Checking for packaging issues…
==> Creating package “alephone-red”…
→ Generating .PKGINFO file…
→ Generating .BUILDINFO file…
→ Generating .MTREE file…
→ Compressing package…
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: alephone-red 1.0-1 (Thu 28 Jan 2021 06:51:06 PM)
==> Cleaning up…
[sudo] password for meurglys:
loading packages…
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…

Packages (1) alephone-red-1.0-1

Total Installed Size: 42.37 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
(1/1) checking keys in keyring [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [----------------------] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [----------------------] 100%
:: Processing package changes…
(1/1) installing alephone-red [----------------------] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks…
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate…
(2/2) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache…
[meurglys@ma3a ~]$

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/alephone-red/
as this is an AUR BUILD it could be simple not working i do see also that the PKGBUILD is:

Votes: 0
Popularity: 0.000000
First Submitted: 2020-06-02 04:12
Last Updated: 2020-06-02 04:12

there are no comments, may asking there what could be wrong?
But to me it looks like simply not maintained and no one using it.

That makes sense, but I did have Red, RubiconX, Phoenix, and Evil installed and working from AUR at one time. For the life of me can’t figure out why it worked in an offline install and not a live one. I mean, I updated both constantly.

I can run them using Wine-Staging, and they work fine, but I strive hard not to have to run any Windows programs on my linux systems. Not that I have anything against MS, or being a linux snob, just a personal preference.

the PKGBUILD uses a zip file i do not see that at the source page, they may change that at the source and maintainer was not updating the PKGBUILD so source is outdated and does not work with current system of arch linux package versions.