Manual Partition EFI question

After being sidetracked I am finally back and able to spend some time with EndeavourOS. I ask for your patience because I expect to be asking a lot of questions.

When I was partitioning my disk for installation I had an “issue” and a question.

Issue/Confusion: I successfully created my partitions and file system but when I try to continue the install I get a warning message, and I am paraphrasing, that an EFI partition has not been selected and this may prevent booting. The thing is that I have selected my EFI system partition and selected it for boot. So not sure why I was getting the warning dialogue.

At some point, I had to stop spending time trying to figure it out and was able to successfully install using the “replace and existing partition with EndeavourOS” option. That had no issue recognizing the same EFI partition I was selected when trying to install manually. But for the future can anyone explain to me what was going on?

Question:
I installed ENdeavourOS on an encrypted partition. The installer gave me the option and it seems to be LUKS. However, ideally, I would like to have LUKS over LVM but I didn’t see an option for that in the installer. Manual or otherwise. Can this be easily done? Since this is a clean install if I missed it somewhere have no issue going back and installing again to get it.

Thanks.

When using manual partitioning and you are creating an efi partition it has to be fat 32 and you have to flag it as /boot/efi and also select to flag as /boot in the Window below.

If you you dual booting and setting it up to boot with Windows and there was an existing /efi in Windows you need to select the Windows /efi partition which is already fat 32 and has Windows info on it. Then use edit and do not format it but flag it as /boot/efi and /boot if that window exists.

LVM has to be set up manually and i don’t know why people want it or use it. I don’t use it or have knowledge to set it up with Luks. I do know how to use Luks encryption but also don’t use it.

You would have to read the arch wiki on that one. Also because the installer is using Calamares some of this info may not work as this is really designed around installing Arch the manual long way.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#LVM_on_LUKS

1 Like

I have never tried but in manual partitioning, you can probably setup up the lvm and when adding the other partitions check the “encrypt” check box which should encrypt them with luks.

That is different than what the OP is trying to do.

I think they are trying to do btrfs on luks on lvm

As a side note, that tutorial is quite out of date. A lot of that can be done in the installer now. I wonder if we should remove it until it can be updated?

yes it is very old one i used it some times as e reference on doing these advanced encrypted installs so it is still useful.

Why does one want LVM anyway?

Edit: Looking into the future, it is very likely that LVM will be phased out as the new generation of file systems like zfs and btrfs become mature. (I think they already are!)

It is just really misleading. More than half of it isn’t needed.

There are lots of reasons. Flexibility is one of the most common ones.

This is not likely. While there are some similar benefits between lvm and btrfs/zfs, they aren’t really the same.

Never say never! :wink:

@dalto
I understand the purpose of LVM in certain environments. I just don’t see it as a normal use case for the average Linux home user.

Seems pretty useful to me in a personal desktop.

Are you sure you understand how it can be used?

i make it unlistened for now :wink:

I understand it to some extent. But, I’m no expert nor am i experienced with it. Just have a conceptual understanding shall we say. I could see it more in a server environment maybe? :thinking: I’m sure it has lots of uses but i just don’t think 99% of normal Linux users would be using it unless they have a specific need.

Features that would be useful to almost anyone:

• Thin provisioning

Features that are useful to people with more than one disk:

• RAID(Yes, lots of regular users use RAID in their desktops)
  • The ability to add an additional disk without having to move partitions/data around.

There are lots of additional features but there are some obvious ones off the top of my head. IMO, thin provisioning alone is worth it. Especially if you have a separate /home or if you multi-boot Linux distros.

4 Likes

Sure but most of this stuff is far too advanced for most users IMHO.

1 Like

I wonder where do you all have found statistics about normal users and Linux usage… :face_with_head_bandage:
Do you have credible links? :thinking:

Here are two data points for you:

• Many distros ship lvm by default(or used to), including those that are aimed at beginners
  • lvm is quite a bit simpler than btrfs and people of all skill levels use btrfs
1 Like

I haven’t seen any distros with lvm? But i wasn’t looking for it either. There may be distros that have it as an install option? You say it’s simple because you already know it and understand it. I’ll stick with ext4 and btrfs as much as i understand btrfs which isn’t much in depth.

It has been a while I installed Ubuntu or Mint with automatic install but if I remember correctly that would set up LVM. I think at least Mint did anyways :thinking: