"manage printing" process is always running as root

Screenshot from 2022-09-19 14-56-32

So recently installed EndeavourOS, coming from Ubuntu and I’m still a bit of a Linux noob. I’ve been loving it so far, after figuring out the AUR and how to get my fingerprint sensor working. This is my first post to the forum and I plan on making many more.

So my question is thus: when I open up the “gnome-usage” app, I always see this one process running in as root, and when I click “force-close” it doesn’t work. Is this expected behavior? I’m just worried that having a process always running as root is detrimental to my security or something like that. Basically it just seems bad lol. If I’m just being paranoid please let me know!

Thanks in advance.

I guess it is a normal thing. So, unless you want to disable printing alltogether, you have to stick with it, I guess…

Welcome to EnOS @IrateMonk! :enos:

Nice avatar you’ve got there, btw. - reminds me of Electric Octopus:

:notes: :guitar:

1 Like

the print server is a systemd service or socket running in system level not as user…
See:

systemctl status cups
2022-09-20_00-24

1 Like

You are just being paranoid.

Welcome to our asylum!

3 Likes

loony bin, nuthouse, booby hatch, loony bin, lunatic asylum, nuthouse, madhouse, lunatic asylum

like these?
:partying_face:

2 Likes

Maybe, he thinks we’re all shroomers?

:mushroom:

1 Like

I assume he means it in a friendly, funny way ?
:right_anger_bubble: :brain:

1 Like

Of course, me too! I meant it the same way. Even when, or just because there was multiple mention of paranoia in this thread! :worm:
:brain: :laughing:

1 Like

good that…
2022-09-21_20-51
is here
:man_health_worker:

1 Like

we had fun … but topic is solved…