Making silent boot persist with systemd-boot

I’m one of those who decided to try out systemd-boot after the grub situation. I would like to turn off the systemd output during startup. Arch wiki suggests adding the quiet kernel parameter to the options line in /efi/loader/entries/*.conf files. The problem is that these loader entries get overwritten every time there is a kernel update. Loader entries seem to be generated by the kernel-install-mkinitcpio package. Looking at its source code here, it seems that boot options for the loader entries are taken from a file called /etc/kernel/cmdline:

if [[ -f /etc/kernel/cmdline ]]; then
    read -r -d '' -a BOOT_OPTIONS < /etc/kernel/cmdline

Is adding the quiet parameter to this file the correct way to make silent boot persist after kernel updates? Or is there some other way to achieve this?

Yes. If you are using kernel-install, modifying /etc/kernel/cmdline is one easy way to make the change persistent.

That should be described in the tutorial in a bit more detail. If it isn’t, let me know and I will update it.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.