Lots of drive space being eaten up

Hello

Something somewhere is eating up a substantial amount of space and I cannot find it as a file/folder.

I can only guess it’s being held hostage by some deleted/zombie process but a reboot does not help.

Any advice?

Not entirely sure which “space” you’re referring to…

If it’s disk space, then check out filelight. It will give you a thorough image of usage with ability to walk through your disk files. I presume that’s the “space” you’re talking about?

Otherwise, if it’s volatile memory, try htop which will tell you where your RAM memory is being used. You can sort by % of use and quickly identify the thieves.

:vulcan_salute:

4 Likes

More information like what DE/WM?
What File System?

somewhere where? home drive? root drive?

1 Like

You can use the du command to identify where and how much space is being used:

sudo du -h -s /usr

As an example, the above command will display the total size used in the /usr folder and all its subfolders. You need sudo when running du on system folders. You can simply run du without sudo on your home folder, or specify subfolders in your home folder.

1 Like

Also ncdu is a nice little utility that can help with the problem.

3 Likes

Turns out the issue was misunderstanding of mount points.
(This wasn’t immediately apparent even with the tools Filelight and ncdu)

I thought you needed to mount onto an existing path by creating a folder like /home/username/games/ then set the mount point for nvme1p1 to mount on that path.
Correcting that and moving files helped.

Disk usage seems a little higher than what I thought it should be now, but it’s not entering the “extreme” territory - landing at 61GB after installing KiCAD, Steam (storing games on another drive) and a couple more applications.

Tip: the package cache can grow quite much if you don’t manage it somehow. The cache files are in folder /var/cache/pacman/pkg.
You can manage them e.g. with command paccache, see
man paccache

For example, you can use the following commands if the cache seems to grow too much:

sudo paccache -ruk0  # deletes all packages no more installed
sudo paccache -rk1   # deletes all but the latest of each package

Note: the number above means how many versions of each package you keep in the cache.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.