Looking for the Arch experience

Hi,

I am a Manjaro user since several years. Still have a couple of Manjaro boxes running. But wanted to check out the real Arch experience with EndeavourOS. I have it running on two laptops now. Lets see how that goes.

I consider myself a linux veteran. Never had a private Windows PC. I moved from Atari directly to Linux. Started with kernel 1.2.13. That was SuSE Linux at that time, based on slackware. But that didnt last for long. I spent most of my Linux time with debian. I still believe that this is one of the best distros around. But the software selection is just to conservative. :wink:

When I was ready to look for something different I first tried Arch directly. But the installation marathon discouraged me big time. Then I tried Antergos before I discovered Manjaro some years ago. And now I am here, ready for something new.

I am a big fan of zfs but I did not try it on EndeavourOS yet. I am wondering how that will work. zfs support on Manjaro is very good. They provide ready-to-go zfs modules.

20 Likes

A familiar face! Welcome! I’m sure you’ll have a great time with EndeavourOS.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community!

The kernel you started with is older than me. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome @mbod, Linux '95 kernel 1.2.13, an honor to see you here. :ringer_planet:

Enjoy your time with EndeavourOS.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard!

3 Likes

zfs-dkms works well (and is what I use). The ArchZFS unofficial user repository provides pre-compiled packages for Arch kernels. You can combine that with the ArchZFS-Kernels repo to make sure module and kernel are always in-sync.

2 Likes

Welcome :balloon: :tada:

3 Likes

Long time no see! :upside_down_face:

Welcome to hopefully a new home :rocket:
:enos:

3 Likes

Welcome!

If you just want support for some zfs volumes for general data, zfs-dkms is probably the way to go. It more or less just works.

If your zfs volumes are critical to the booting process, I recommend using the repos mentioned by @jonathon. The reason is that using those packages will ensure you never get a kernel that is not compatible with zfs as can happen for a period of time when a new kernel is released.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community :beers:

3 Likes

Indeed another familiar face :wink:. Welcome @mbod, nice to have you here. I made my move 4 months ago to EndeavourOS and I really, really don’t look back. I am sure you’ll enjoy your Arch experience here !

4 Likes

Welcome @mbod

3 Likes

Welcome on the board! You have experienced many things in the history of Linux.

3 Likes

Welcome @mbod, I’m sure your going to enjoy your stay here. :wave:

3 Likes

Welcome … :blush:

3 Likes

see also with git Torvic9

you can use phoronix benchmark to see differences

1 Like

Nice to see you again and welcome. :wave:

3 Likes