Login issue after fresh install

I recently (yesterday) re-installer EndeavourOS using a clean, checked, and reliable USB installer.

I installed EOS many times, the process is always the same, on the same computer, I never faced that problem.

Issue

After a fresh install, when I logging in, three scenarios can occur:

1. Scenario 1: I3 is launched, everything seem to look fine, BUT I cannot open any window, launch any command, click on anything. I can only launch ctrl+alt+f4 and reboot, but nothing else.

2. Scenario 2: Same as scenario 1, but If I instantly try to open a window when i3 starts, then it works, I can open as many windows as I want. BUT, if I close all the windows, I fall back to the scenario 1.

3. Scenario 3: i3 is not launched, the screen becomes black, then it displays some other boot log stuff, and I have to loggin in again. Then i3 is launched and everything seem to work normally. Note that the first time I enter the loggin screen, “archilinux” is displayed on the top-left corner of the screen, the second one “endeavouros.home” is displayed. During installation, I specified the same name both for the loggin screen and for the computer name: “amnesia”, but when starting a prompt “amnesia@endeavouros” is displayed.

Installation settings:

• WM: i3wn

• Packages: the packages selected by default when installing i3wm (Desktop base + Common packages, Firefox and languages, i3-windows-manager)

• EOS version: EndeavourOS_Artemis_nova_22_9.iso

PC specs

• Kernel: 5.19.12-arch1-1
  • Packages: 1049 (pacman)
  • Shell: bash 5.1.16
  • WM: i3
  • Terminal: xfce4-terminal
  • CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ (8) @ 3.800GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630

EDIT: My previous installation of EOS was a full-encrypted installation

looks like optimus hybrid graphics?

The 3. scenario looks like something really is wrong, like two OS mixed up or you do not format / or /home partitions ? using manually partition ? try to “reuse” home?

Before launching the installation process, I completely removed all the old partitions where it is installed.
I’m not quite sure to understand what you recommend me to do.

i do not recommend, i do ask how exactly you set up :wink:

2022-10-01_12-36

2022-10-01_12-37

there is currently no known issue like what you have.

Just done a fresh install to check.

1. Filesystem is ext4?
  2. System is UEFI or legacy Bios?
  3. Using automatic partition or manual?
  4. Do you unselect any packages?

Can you provide the installer log?

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/forum-log-tool-options/how-to-include-systemlogs-in-your-post/2021/03/

cat /var/log/endeavour-install.log | eos-sendlog

Ah sorry I misunderstood you.

Filesystem is ext4?
Yes.
nvme0n1
├─nvme0n1p1 vfat FAT32 299,1M /boot/efi
├─nvme0n1p2 ext4 1.0 /
└─nvme0n1p3 swap [SWAP]

System is UEFI or legacy Bios?
UEFI

Using automatic partition or manual?
Automatic partition, I selected the option to erase all existing data

Did you unselect any packages?
None

Can you provide the installer log?
https://clbin.com/bHZnY
(wow I didn’t know I could consult the post installation logs, there aresome warning happening at the end of the process)

warnings are all fine… it try and error on enable services… for VM usage and Login Managers depending on install it enables only what is there installed.

The rest looks totally fine install shows no issue.
the previous install was on the same drive?

The previous install was on the same drive.
The last time I installed EOS on this computer some weeks ago and I applied the exact same process except I chose the encryption feature.

so you want to say this time you installed without encryption :wink:

The thing that is completely strange is what you say about hostname and that it shows also two different hostnames…

what is shown in login manager top left is the hostname and in prompt it is also the hostname used.

you can check hostname:
cat /etc/hostname

I would go to do a fresh install … anjd i have no clue how it could happen that you have two hostnames or 3 at the same time.

1 Like

cat /etc/hostname shows nothing

Thanks for your answers and your help anyway. I will try another fresh install.

it should :wink: there is something screwed with the install strangely no errors showing up in the install logs… but as it is still fresh install best is to retry.

I am here if it will do the same (but i bet it will be fine) :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Hello there.

I (again) reinstalled the ISO installer on my USB stick following the exact same process, and this time everything looks okay. I don’t know what happened as I completely reinstalled the installer on several USB sticks but the OS was always broken.

Nevertheless, thanks A LOT for your reactivity, your time, and your help :smiley: :+1: .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.