Locale settings

I like my systems to be all english, except for things like default currency and number/date format.
Using en_DK.UTF-8 as locale usually gives me that exact combination.
However, with my current install (KDE) konsole commands for some reason show up in German? The Konsole menu itself is in english, but commands like nano, ls and sudo, are in German.

The KDE locale screen shows en_DK as the default and below you can see my locale settings are en_DK, and it’s the only locale installed. local-gen is in english but the ls command at the bottom is in German?

thomas@hermes:~$ locale
LANG=en_DK.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_DK.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
thomas@hermes:~$ sudo locale-gen
Generating locales...
  en_DK.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.
thomas@hermes:~$ ls -l
insgesamt 3300
drwxr-xr-x 1 thomas users

Is there anything specific to Konsole which I need to set?
I know I never installed anything “German” on this machine but maybe there is something lurking in a config file when I copied my home folder?

Maybe this will help: https://userbase.kde.org/Konsole#Language

If that doesn’t work, try adding … to /etc/locale.conf
LANGUAGE="en"

or
LANGUAGE=“en_US”`

or
LANGUAGE=“en_DK”`

The Calamares installer does this automatically. I always set System Language American English and timezone Stockholm. Then the default locale is “American Language, all units Swedish (metric. 24 hour clock etc etc)”.

Amazing :smile:

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Did the trick right away, even though I don’t have this locale installed?
Oh, well problem solved! Thanks a lot!!

Edit:
Well, turned out that setting a language which isn’t even installed broke other parts.
So what I finally ended up was installing the previously missing locales, in my case en_US and de_DE, which gave me the desired settings in all UI based sections and switched Konsole back to German :frowning:

But the Konsole issue I finally managed to correct via export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8 in .bashrc.
Not really logical but I when reading up on this it turns out I am dealing with an age old KDE bug. Anyway that finally fixed it.