Locale settings often are messed up after major Plasma updates

I don’t know how it is with you, but very often, not always, when KDE releases a new major version update, my locale settings are messed up and it is the same issue over and over again. I know how to fix it, I mean it comes up so often I know the command by heart, which isn’t a good thing in this case. :wink:
I have had this issue on Plasma for some time now and on different hardware. Do you have a permanent solution or am I one of the rare users who encounter this issue almost on a regular schedule?

EDIT: It is this issue https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=262047

Are you using more than one locale, or different formats from your chosen locale? Which is your chosen locale?

I’m using British English and en_GB.UTF-8 for all formats, and never have any problems.

The output of locale -a for me is:

C
C.UTF-8
en_GB.utf8
en_US.utf8
POSIX

1 Like

If I change my locale via KDE System Settings, for some reason LC_ALL becomes blank, which causes startup failure on some applications. This also breaks os-prober for some reason :man_shrugging:

No, I use Dutch nl_NL.UTF-8

It has to do with some Plasma updates and after restoring it, it’s all fine. It’s a bit annoying.
I don’t know if you remember, but a couple of months ago I had this issue not being able to change the name whilst downloading a PDF, which you also solved and turned out to be a Plasma thing as well? That bug returned after the latest Plasma update.

Weird…

Did you try the steps in this post again?

Are all your language and format settings only Dutch?

I fixed it, but to be honest I don’t like how Plasma handles major updates. I will not ditch it though, but I find the overriding settings after an update a bit annoying.

Yes, but when the issue arises, there’s a typo in one or more of the lines. It shows up after an update as:

nl-NL.UTF-8

I tend to use a major Plasma update as an excuse to do a reinstall, partly to see what the new defaults are…

Sounds like a :bug: Maybe some of the other :netherlands: people here can see if they can replicate?

The other alternative is to declare yourself a loyal subject of Her Britannic Majesty :crown: :uk: and switch to en_GB.UTF-8 :wink:

1 Like

This can might help over this issue:-

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=107852

The reason might be b/w default language and custom chosen language, I guess…

That is a different issue, in my case, there is just a stupid typo in the settings of locale that comes back once in a while.