Live/Portable: WiFi

I would like to use Endeavour from my USB. The only thing holding me back at this point is not having access to wifi.

I realize if I were to install it on a virtual machine or partitioned hd this would be a non issue as the installation process would perform the steps I need automatically. But I really want my installation on the USB so that I can plug it into various machines and us Endeavour.

[liveuser@eos-2020.05.08 ~]$ ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK, UP, LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
     link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
[liveuser@eos-2020.05.08 ~]$ iwconfig
lo         no wireless extensions.
[liveuser@eos-2020.05.08 ~]$ lspci -k
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM43602 802.11ac Wireless LAN SoC (rev 01) Kernel modules: brcmfmac, wl

Thanks for your help and time.

Are you planning on installing onto a another USB?

No. But the usb I’m using that has the live iso will be used on multiple machines.

Is it the latest USB? It does have the required files on it for Broadcom. Is that the AC1900 version? I have both theAC1300 and AC1900 which are Archer T6E and T9E TP-Link brand on desktops.

Yes, it’s the latest version.

I’m thinking it’s a simple fix, I’m just not sure how to get it working.

I thought that the broadcom worked on the live usb? It doesn’t show any wifi that you can connect?

I try wifi-menu but it outputs Invalid interface specification

I found my driver here and confirmed that it’s already included in the iso. It’s just not being recognized :frowning:

You may need the dkms version. Maybe you can download it to the usb and install it.

is installed on LiveISO

I thought it was included. But i think his chip is BCM43602 so it should be using brcmfmac which is part is kernel module? Does wl need to be removed then?

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/brcm80211

1 Like

In some cases system choosing wrong module, but it should take the right one usually, if not you can rmmod the wrong one and modprobe the right one…

1 Like

It works! Thank you!

The following is what I did to get it working:

1. identified the kernel modules and chipset for my network controller: lspci -k
  2. using linux kernel archives documentation I discovered the driver needed for a live USB (very specific for USB): brcmfmac
  3. lspci -k indicated that wl was (or perhaps was not) being loaded, I used rmmod wl followed by modprobe brcmfmac and the network dialog box immediately appeared.

Thanks for your help.

I’m not sure which answer to mark as the solution. It was the result of both contributions :grimacing:

4 Likes

so called teamwork :wink:

2 Likes