Linux-zen and bumblebee optimus-manager

Hi all!
I like to have more than one kernel so I have installed linux-zen beside linux-vanilla.
I have an optimus laptop (Asus GL753ve) and with linux-zen I can not switch to nvidia. lspci -v shows that nouveau is loaded but nouveau is not installed? Dkms is installed and so is nvidia-dkms. Is it possible to have more than one kernel and optimus-card in Endeavour?

womp

Yes you could use diferents kernel…it’s also good to have LTS kernel as security the day that a kernel update goes wrong…

2 Likes

All kernels does not suport all graphics cards. Generally the vanilla kernel supports most up to date cards.

As FLVAL say’s it’s a good idea to have at least lts installed too.

2 Likes

Dkms should compile module for zen kernel.mayby thats not happend. I have linux-zen and linux-lts.

1 Like

I solved it!! But thanks for support guys!!
I looked through installed nvidia related and found that both nvidia and nvidia-.dkms was installed. I uninstalled nvidia and reinstalled nvidia-dkms and then modules were created for both kernels. Now it works fine.
I still think it’s a bit strange that it was possible to have nvidia and nvidia-dkms installed at the same time!!? That should not be possible.

womp

1 Like

nvidia is basicly for Linux kernel , nvidia-lts = linux-lts , but if you have several kernels linux-zen or other type of kernels you need nvidia-dkms

1 Like

i believe nvidia-installer got also the dkms thing, but i dont have nvidia dont know to much about

1 Like