Linux gets boring but in a good sense

So my first Linux experience was SuSE Linux 6.1 in 1999 an wow what a challenge:
-5 CD Roms
-a Book as large as the phone-book
-I had no internet connection
-my English skills were more than basic

it took me more than a week to get my Soundblaster AWE32 to work, I was proud to make shortcuts in kde 1.1 to mount and unmount my CD-Rom Drive…

Since than, I had an on/off experience with Linux, I always loved Linux but things like games and MS Office, drivers for some devices… took me back to windows. I had an dual-boot but became lazy to restart my pc only for “tasks” that worked to on Windows too.

But now since 6 month (after a little distro-hopping) I didn’t touch my windows install at all.

Everything works fine. Installing applications is easier than ever, with flatpaks I don’t need to care about dependencies. On Arch/EndeavourOS and AUR I don’t need to care about repositories…
Games run so great on Steam/Proton, some even better than on Windows.
OnlyOffice gives me an perfect compatible alternative to MS Office. System maintenance and updating Software is so easy an fast compared to Windows… there are so many improvements in recent days I could continue my list but to come to an end:

My system works now so well, that it gets boring…

8 Likes

I agree with you. I started a few years earlier than you with Linux back in the early slackware days. I used Linux a lot as a server over the years but only partially as a desktop.

I switched to Linux full-time on the desktop a few years ago. Not sure exactly when, maybe 4-5 years ago? I don’t even have a dual-boot setup anymore. Everything “just works” for me now.

5 Likes

If only I got that experience without configuration.

Boring is good, no need to waste time trying and playing many different OS, then back to your boring system.

1 Like

Some configuration is always needed, even on Windows or MacOS but what is you special issue, perhaps we can help?

Thankfully I have solved everything, well, almost everything. What I said is a general statement. Thanks for asking.

A lot of things happened to me in the same way as to you regarding Linux. Although I saw Suse first as a “desktop” Linux distribution, and I was also amazed at the virtual desktops, which I had never seen before on Windows, but it was Red Hat Linux that I first encountered installed on a gateway at my workplace at the time . Of course, you could only communicate with it via the command line, so I had to learn the basic commands. Later, Debian was the one where I learned the most important Unix commands because I couldn’t install or configure X on it. This was probably back in the days of Sarge. Irssi was the IRc client we used to communicate with at the time. Then, at some point, the desktop suddenly started on the Debian machine, which until then I could only use in the terminal, and as they say, the rest is history.

2 Likes

Yeah it got so boring, I moved to gentoo…
I tend to look for interesting stuff to keep myself occupied (most recently it was writing an ebuild for fahcontrol, and before that messing with firejail).