Link-local on Raspberry PI 4

On my RPI4 I have tried different DEs on EOS to see if the DVR application MythTV runs better on one DE vs. another. It seems to run about the same with good video playback on both XFCE4 and Plasma KDE. In an effort to get better video, I thought about running without a DE. The app is qt.qpa based so that could be challenging all by itself. The one problem I didn’t expect was networking.

In this application I connection to the internet via WiFi and use the Ethernet port to connect directly to a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun TV tuner. When using either XFCE4 or KDE, I use the Advanced Networking tool in settings and modify the Ethernet for IPv4 only set to link-local and IPv6 disabled. At that point the HDHR tuner can talk to it’s software.

However, if I install EOS without a Desktop, then using the nmcli or nmtui commands I setup the Ethernet port the same and I can’t talk to the HDHR tuner. The /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections files look the same and ip -c a shows the networks up and the Ethernet port has a link-local address.

So there must be something network related that installing a complete DE brings in that is not included without a DE installed?

What am I missing.

1 Like

You can install nm-connection-editor and disable ipv6, this has solved network connection problems for me.

1 Like

This command requires a Desktop environment. What is puzzling to me is during the install when I have to configure WiFi to install, I can configure the link-local port as well with the same GUI editor that I’d use if I was installing XFCE4 or KDE. The configuration carries through to the new install once I’m finished.

But for some reason, even though the network ports are properly configured the HDHR utility cannot find the networked tuner.

I’ve tested a lot of the Desktop Environments, XFCE4, KDE, LXQT, Cinnamon, Gnome. They all leave the network functional for the HDHR utility. But the lack of a DE keeps it from working. The utility, hdhomerun_config is command line only and gets installed with yay -S libhdhomerun.

This may not be a real issue since I’ll most likely run some DE. And it looks like all the ones I’ve tested get out of the way and don’t cause any issues with the video playback of mythfrontend which is a QT app.