Letter from flathub

saw this at the ungoogled bug tracker. Eloston/Ungoogled are apparently being warned by Flathub that their chromium fork has 8 weeks to dissociate itself with Chrome branding.
Flathub does not want to be in copyright violation and eloston changed the logo yesterday. So it all worked out,
It made me wonder what the implications are for AUR forks that use (illegally?) the mothership’s branding? Like the UGC I use from AUR, for instance?

I was just getting the updates to my flatpaks including UGC while browsing the forum and coming across your post.

The new icon:

UGC

This is from Wikipedia, the only other guidelines I found about the Chrome icon are for when its used for chrome extensions

1 Like

Logos aside, this thread prompted me to put learning more about ungoogled-chromium on my “to do” list. Not a fan of Flathub, but looks to be available in the AUR. :thinking:

After years of Firefox, I recently turned to Vivaldi to take advantage of its “workspace” features. Its logo is boring enough.

1 Like

1 Like

get the AUR binary. They greet you with the setup: a chrome store .crx workaround and instructions to activate a system dictionary. Search engine disabled as default (weird but I like it) and they didn’t tamper with any more settings: you have dial it in the way you need to.
It’s been years, I can’t imagine my rotation without UGC. Love it.

edit: add @smokey @pebcak

so if the fine print says this is not eligible for copywright protection, why did Flathub lean on UGC if they didn’t have legal basis to?

unless buried deeper in the fine print it falls into the category of “other restrictions”?
this lawyer stuff drives me crazy…I hate the red logo

1 Like

Good stuff.

Also reminds me that Vivaldi is actually a fork of Chromium with a lot of the “google” stuff ripped out. At least as they explain themselves…

And though this article is a bid dated (2019), this is how Vivaldi asserts that it gets its revenue…

FWIW, this seems to pass my more sensitive smell tests. Then again, perhaps 'm missing anything?

Vivaldi is a nifty, feature-rich browser with great features. some of the browser is closed source and proprietary and the reasons for that never passed my sniff test and I don’t use it.
I’m not fanatical about strict-FOSS at all. I prefer it. but we have to compromise with some things. I need microsoft-TTF for work, for example. And Zoom etc.
It was always the ‘reasons’ for their partial closed source, not the closed source in itself, that made me pass. As weird as that sounds…

If you dislike the new icon, you could copy UGC’s .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to your ~/.local/share/applications and edit the line Icon= to point to a location with your preferred icon.

4 Likes

This is why they leaned on them:

“A trademark is a type of intellectual property consisting of a recognizable sign, design, or expression that identifies a product or service from a particular source and distinguishes it from others.”

People (in general) don’t read. So, when they see the logo, they maybe just click it and install it without knowing that it’s not what they are expecting.

Also, using the same logo is a tactic employed by scammers and unethical hackers, so…

2 Likes

This here is why the above was the main reason given around the Chrome extensions

I don’t think they are actually worried about the legal repercussions of this but more that people will assume they are downloading something else. Other icons may be Copywrited for other applications.

2 Likes

that makes sense and when I re-read the terse ‘bbhtt’ in my picture he did say “confusing people” in addition to copywright.
I don’t honestly know, or care to, if ‘bbhtt’ is a flathub representative or litigator but I get it.

truth be told I am just confused as to why people would be confused about what they were downloading. and sad. when did reading stop? I digress. soberly, drunkenvicar

1 Like

Seems to be a common thing these days unfortunately, I see it all the time on my friends PCs and other devices or even when they make purchases online they don’t read the description of what they are buying they look at the picture and just assume the picture is what they are buying.

1 Like

the blind trust depresses me even more here. for some things you buy, the margin of error is zero unless you want to wait and wait. Whether it be a car part or an external drive I make sure before I buy…and actually communicate and talk with seller…this reduces the odds of screwing up dramatically…. the Corona is now improving my disposition however.

1 Like

Yer I always check out things thoroughly before purchasing anything online, the last purchase I made online my my current PC and HDD for it and rang them before to check out the warranty conditions etc as I knew I was going to be installing EndeavourOS on it once purchased and adding this HDD to it. It was covered and the delivery was only a few days as it was a pretty local business.

1 Like