Less performance in i3? and keyring

Hi, for the first time in my life I installed i3 yesterday
i installed i3-gaps and other modules(?) with the help of arch wiki on my EOS ( i did offline installer before, with nvidia drivers )
so far i like everything about i3, but i encountered two problems that i couldve resolve

for some reason i3 has less performance than xfce in games, it’s running nvidia for sure ( i have set it default in optimus-manager startup, and i also checked with nvidia-smi )
for example in CS:GO, if I run in it i3, max FPS i get is 110 and sometimes drops to 60-70. but in xfce i get 200-250 FPS, very rarely (if theres lots of smokes and enemies) drops to ~170

in xfce i use gnome-keyring, in i3 i tried to activate it by using pam.d method but seems like it doesn’t work since i have to enter passwords everywhere

thanks in advanced

2.:

#get auth work with polkit-gnome

exec --no-startup-id /usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1

using polkit-gnome
You could also use other polkit agents the one from xfce is nice also and have a little less bold pop up on password requests.

1.:

• using a compositor like picom?
  • setting Nvidia driver to ForceFullCompositionPipeline ?
    // on optimus may better use nvidia settings and not xorg.conf.d method. //
2 Likes

installed polkit and its fixed now, thank you so much

yea i had installed picom, but now i uninstalled it

about nvidia, should I do everything in that nvidia link? (i doubted cuz i see its running with nvidia)
also i opened nvidia x setting but didnt find any ForceFullCompositionPipeline

edit: uninstalling picom didnt change anything

picom needs setup to work nicely with nvidia drivers …

2021-04-27_17-05
not shown up in settings?

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="DVI-I-1:1920x1080_60 +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }, HDMI-0:1920x1080_60 +1920+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

as startup script can do the trick also

2 Likes

no i dont have that
i’ll try script and let you know what will happen

edit : that script didnt help also

2021-04-27_18-25

1 Like

i am not sure but what i know is that you should not use xorg.conf.d files to setup stuff if you are running optimus-manager but you can try if you can handle the need to may remove settings from tty2 (cli)

1 Like

i dont have good memories about messing with xorg and im afraid to do it now.
i think i’ll stick to xfce for gaming and i3 for work n daily usages :frowning_face: