Lenovo Thinkpad and EOS

I’ll have a L Series Thinkpad notebook soon. How compatible is EOS with it?

Until you install it, you won’t know … but Thinkpad is one of the machines that best gets along with linux!

1 Like

Thanks for the answer, it’s encouraging. :slight_smile: I’ve never had a Lenovo machine, I’ve always had HP, Toshiba, Asus and Mac in my hands.

I’m running EOS on a Lenovo and have had no issues. My son got a Thinkpad to use Linux on and it makes me jealous. His Lenovo is faster than mine :grin: He has also had no issues.

1 Like

Before buying a picked machine, it’s getting more and more encouraging, and it makes my decision easier, thank you for your answer.

I’m running EOS on a Toshiba L505. It’s about 10 years old, before UEIF. No problems at all. EOS is running faster than Xubuntu did on this old 2-core laptop.

1 Like

I’m running Endeavour on a Thinkpad L series for two years now and firmware updates are easy, you don’t need Windows for it, just install fwupd.

Thank you for your experience, it will greatly facilitate my choice. Anyway, L-series Thinkpads have uefi or maybe bios?

https://thinkwiki.de/Kategorie:L-Serie

they should have UEFI Firmware already yes :wink:

1 Like

Thank you, this is a useful link, and it is less used in IT, but at least I was able to refresh my German. :slight_smile:

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Otherwise, I did not find such a detailed description of the subject in English.

https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:L_Series

Danke, das scheint mir gefehlt zu haben.

I have the Thinkpad L440 notebook. Windows 10 Pro has been activated with a digital license. The volume was formatted in an MBR schema. I have a few questions. I want a GPT partition table so that I can run multiple operating systems on it. If I cleanly reinstall Windows, you will not be asked for a product key? In the BIOS, do I need to change the UEFI / BIOS switch from both to UEFI only? During the custom installation you can choose the GPT scheme I remember. If that didn’t work, I read in MS Docs that there is another way to convert an existing MBR system volume (C: ) to GPT without losing data. Does this work in practice?

Sorry that I can’t answer all your questions, but hopefully this gives some tips. In particular, I don’t know about Windows product keys.

As MBR disk can be used for dual boot, do you have a compelling reason to use gpt? If not, then MBR disk is OK, and saves your time.

Whatever you choose to do, I strongly recommend making a working backup before anything else. And recommend creating a Windows recovery disk/stick.

GPT is important because it is possible that there would be more than four partitions on the volume due to testing.

If your digital license is linked with your microsoft account or the product key is stored in the bios (done by the manufacturer), at a fresh installation, your win10 will be automatically reactivated. ( you will be asked at the beginning of the installation process for your key, click " i have no product key" and install win10). First of all i would try to install a second and maybe later a third system additional to your existing windows10. Use the existing efi boot partition from windows.

Thank you for your reply. Since this is a used company machine that has been upgraded, it is not known whether that digital license was linked to a Microsoft account at the time of installation or is stored in bios.

@zoli62
Let’s get some answers :slight_smile:
In layman terms explanation A computer when it is activated with a Windows 10 license, has a cryptographic key assigned to it.
A manufacturer installs the OEM or volume license Windows 10, and the OS generates the key which is stored in the hardware area, in SPI BIOS flash chip, and it is read when you reinstall.
Only when you make major hardware changes to that computer, the activation could be triggered again and you have to go with the steps required to re-activate your license.
Luckily, we are installing EndeavourOS and no license drama here!

To keep it short, you are better with GPT partition table, more partitions and faster boot and you can make use of the EFI partition needed for booting new computers.

In BIOS you need to switch to UEFI, but in order to avoid some issues, just disable Secure Boot, use CSM instead. But this is a trial and error, depending on the manufacturer’s way of implementing the Secure Boot protocol. In some computers Linux boots flawlessly with Secure Boot turned on, in some it is a PITA.

You can convert the MBR to GPT easily, without any data loss. But always make sure you have back-ups.

And the juicy part:
Thinkpads and Linux is a match made in Heaven!
Really, for the last 6 years I use Thinkpads with Linux X201, X220, X230, T440P all ran Linux beautifully.
And there is so much software in AUR for Thinkpads, you will be amazed.

If you have questions, I’ll gladly offer an answer