Leaving arch for debian or red hat distros

That’s what I’m trying to do and I get tons of annoying errors from cmake and what not. It’s very overwhelming to do that under deadlines

This is somewhat bad advice, as it can make package management a pain. If you are going to build the software from source code yourself, you should keep it somewhere in your home directory. Or, you should write a PKGBUILD file yourself and package it, then install it with pacman. Then pacman will keep track of it.

1 Like

Agree. I have tried to do this with openFoam installation on Debian. It worked fine but it took 2 days to get all the dependencies right and who knows how many timeshifts lol. I’m so glad there is AUR for such cases. God bless AUR lol

1 Like

well you were implying that because EOS did not have the software you needed you might have to switch distros. I was giving you an alternative. the dependencies are not that much. there is nothing wrong with installing in /usr/local. I would rather go to site that actually maintains the software then get it via AUR which is not an official Arch repo. you use AUR at your own risk (which is properly not that high). if you are not used to building software from source then AUR is a good choice but maybe not better. try it and see. do it both ways.

how many dependencies are they? looking at the web site not that many. maybe I am missing something here ?! it still should not take 2 days maybe a few hours at the most. i guess I might have to try it myself!

i agree with you, Mint then back to EOS ! how long will the switch take!

Which Mint though? The one built off Debian or the one built of Ubuntu?

I like the official built on Ubuntu personally. It just feels better. It’s hard to explain. Both are very good though.

Cinnamon is fantastic too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.