Laptops in 2024

Yup. Exactly. I can get my t480s or a t480 in really good shape on ebay for like $200 or less. I’d take that 100% of the time over every new thinkbook for $400-1000 every single time. The quality is many magnitudes better in the thinkpad. The only reason I don’t care is because it’s for work. I don’t even touch it, I bought myself out of pocket an external monitor/keyboard and mouse because it’s utter trash, and it’s basically a desktop laptop with an i5 and 8gb of ram that runs outlook and a web browser.

If I actually had to use it for anything I’d just setup my personal thinkpad and not even waste time with it and pretend it was the one they gave me.

My top recommendations:

Thinkpad t480 (no nvidia)
Thinkpad t480s
Thinkpad x1 carbon intel gen 10 or older (no nvidia)
MSI Delta 15 gaming Laptop (probably still pretty bad for privacy though)
Lenovo Legion 5 Advantage Edition (keyboard still sucks) Ryzen 5000 or older
Dell XPS - intel 10 or older/ ryzen 5000 or older

For complete coreboot and crazy cheap:

Acer Edgar 14 Chromebook

And then I guess if you don’t care about privacy probably tuxedo book, or newer thinkpads.

1 Like

I have a Tuxedo Infinitybook 14 Gen 7 for a year now and I am happy. Never had a Laptop where setting up Linux was so boring, that it nearly took the honor out of installing Linux.

I agree with Wired that it is basically a modernized version of my old MacBook Pro 9,2. Well the Chinese dudes who producing it are the same Chinese dudes who produced the 9,2 MBP back then.

The 3k Display means fractional scaling, a thing one have to be aware of. There is a 16 inch version available.

I bought it with 32GB ram and screwed a 4TB wd_black in myself. I can’t complain.

I’m utilizing an inexpensive ASUS L510, 15.6” FHD, 6W 4C/T N5030, 4GB non-upgradeable RAM, 128GB eMMC, then added a 512GB NVMe. I wiped Windows off the eMMC and reformatted it labeling it /Data. I paid under $275 back in mid-2022. Gave it an 8 GB Swap, just because. Cinnamon desktop. I connect to my Synology NAS via SMB. I use it daily.

The recommendation really depends on what you’ll use your laptop for and what the rest of your infrastructure allows you to do.
If you aim to do some browsing, mailing and office work on the go, a laptop for 300€ will be enough for you. No need to spend more money. I got a relative of mine a Lenovo for 350€ or smth, put Linux Mint Cinnamon on it and she is happy. If you do developing and you have a VPN to your home network you could ssh into your developing box to work remote, that way you don’t need to worry about enough power in your laptop.

If you really need a powerful laptop, the others in this thread have you covered. Just be sure you need to spend that much money first.

Unless you play graphically-intensive games, I recommend you get a laptop with only an iGPU. This will save you a lot of headaches because hybrid GPU setups are horribly painful. Short battery life, issues with games, issues with heating, driver mess, etc. But if you can disable the dGPU from the laptop’s uefi then you don’t have to worry about getting one with a dGPU.

I always aim for laptops with an Intel wifi card. They just work and I can count on them, while realtek wifi cards have a reputation of not always working and requiring third party driver installations from github.

If you are serious about color, I recommend a laptop with a screen whose sRGB coverage is 100-110%, and a contrast ratio of at least 1000:1.

Try to check if the laptop’s uefi settings are extensive.

1 Like

In my family we have a Lenovo E590 which is more than four years old. Some weeks ago it got a bios update …
Maybe that answers your question. :wink:

1 Like

So I agree Thinkpads are pretty good. But I would skip the ‘Thinkbook’. Its kind of a hybrid between the Ideapad and Thinkpad lines. From working on them the cooling and durability is not there. So I returned the Thinkbook and got a Thinkpad.

In Canada I get refurbished off leased Thinkpads from here:

https://www.laptopcloseout.ca/

So what I noticed is the Thinkpad line of Lenovo computers gets the longest firmware updates (for security issues). My t450 no longer gets updates, but up to December 2023 my T470 still gets them.

You can go here and look up a potential computer to see where it is for updates:

You have to be careful about the T480, Yoga line and the laptops listed in the below article. There was a couple bugs withthe usb c port and a situation where the SPI Port were burning out because of a firmware bug. In some cases Lenovo did not honor the warrenty. Even if you flash the laptop, the communication chips will have the wear and tear on it from from updating every boot.

I have no issue with mine. Thinkpads are great if you want a Thinkpad. I got a Thinkbook and it’s great. No issues for me. Most hardware gets Bios updates for 2-5 years as needed.

Example of the issue that the gen 1 T14 hit with that generation Intel and AMD processors.

They are much better now at Generation 12 processors.

Not sure what your point is. Manufacturers bring out products that have issues because of Cpu or other hardware. Doesn’t mean that all are bad. It just means those ones are. It’s like cars they come out with some bad ones from time to time. The current Thinkbook i have works fine with Ryzen and AMD graphics.

Since if got a Tuxedo Pulse 15 mk1 i’ll never look back
video is about mk2

Here you go:

1. People should do their research on a per model basis before dumping money into a new\refurbished device. Don’t go by brand name.

2. Look up the service history to see if there have been on going complaints on a device. What has been patched.

A good percentage of the time people say “No problem for me” … thats great. Were you looking for a specific problem? Many users turn on their laptops, browse the internet, watch a video and entertain themselves. They are totally clueless about there being a problem. Just look at the number of posts where people have not updated their firmware before installing Endeavour?

Additionally (been a certified Thinkpad tech for IBM), I have taken apart the first 2 generations of Thinkbooks (14 ITIL) which my workplace uses. The fans are a major failure point next to the quality of the chasis parts cracking. This is why I suggest getting a Thinkpad where the repairability and quality is much higher (then the Thinkbook).

p.s. I do have 4 Thinkpads, 1 Yoga and 2 Ideapads for family which span a life span of about 8 different generations. So I am speaking that the problems showing up are happening because manufacturers slap in the next Inte\AMDl chip and call it a day. And business just rotate their machines every 3 years. So the worse offenders are the only ones being caught.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve heard. I have a t480s and my buddy has a t480. It wasn’t nearly as common of an issue as they tried to make it seem.

And it was a fix they did with software. If it was going to fail, it would have by now, so it’s almost a guarantee that it’s been updated and fixed by now.

Framework 13. You owe it to yourself to at least take a look.

2 Likes

So, hadn’t replied since I really don’t have much to add. Generally, agreed with @kagetora13 with most of the stuff.

But some personal opinions based on lots, and lots, and lots of using laptops in the last few decades (my prior 2 jobs I did procurement, installation, repair, and deployment of laptops as one of my primary jobs, so I went through THOUSANDS of laptops, mostly Dell/HP but some Lenovo and oddly some Acer):

1. If you want good build quality in a major OEM, stick to their business lines. There are VERY good consumer oriented laptops. But quality control is, at best, sketchy. Support is often frustrating as they’ll try to avoid providing it. Business lines are GENERALLY superior on both fronts. That’s not to say there’s not lemons, there are MOST DEFINITELY lemons. But they’re not AS common as on consumer lines.
  2. If support is the #1 thing, boutique stores are the only way you’re getting that nowadays. Even the best pro support from the major OEM’s you will sometimes run into problems with support being uncooperative.
  3. Lenovo ThinkPads are my personal go-to machine used/refurbished. They’re overpriced drastically new, but once they’re open box, you can usually find a decent deal on them, they’ve got generally good build quality, support is generally pretty good, and they still are pretty easy to work on yourself if you want to upgrade the parts (LCD being the most common anymore for me).
  4. Avoid Intel P series CPU’s. IN theory, these were a great idea. In practice, most OEM’s took their 15-watt TDP designs, said “f it”, and put the 28-watt P series CPU in it with no re-engineering of the cooling solution. So you have a 28-watt TDP CPU running with a 15-watt TDP cooling ability. This leads to overheating, thermal throttling, destruction of battery runtimes. And since it’s thermally throttling, you don’t even get the theoretical performance uptick. This isn’t 100% of the designs. But close enough that it’s best just to avoid them and be safe.

I am a fairly unbiased person with regards to laptop manufacturers (I think), currently I own 4 Lenovo ThinkPads, 1 Lenovo ThinkBook, 1 Lenovo “other” (for sale, great laptop the K14), 2 Dell Inspirons (beautiful machines, cheap as all $@^ made), 1 Dell Latitude, 1 HP EliteBook, and 1 Crelander. I wouldn’t have as many Lenovo’s if Dell would have put Ryzens in their Latitude line, but for the last few years, it’s been really hard to buy Intel CPU’s given how far behind in every measurable category they were to AMD.

2 Likes