Laptop Discrete Graphics card (AMD) are not used

images are rebuilded fine for you so you should be able to boot :wink:

Is this supposed to be the value or a value?

Thats comforting :rofl:

it includes a little no guarantee

only because … usually users are panic about black screens more then about windows bluescreens :wink:

In my experience, BSOD is scarier than a black screen with minimal or no info haha

Yes, samsung laptop with i5

and reboot was BSOD or fine? :wink:

I only did a shutdown. I had to go to an event with my daughter. We will see a bit later :grin:

1 Like

I wonder if MODULES= should be set like this?

MODULES=“amdgpu radeon”

good news, it boots but the gpu is not active. The comments on boot were different but it booted fine.
desktop

1 Like

well well well…

[penguin@penguin ~]$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x47 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 5 associated providers: 1 name:Intel
Provider 1: id: 0x8e cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 6 outputs: 0 associated providers: 1 name:TURKS @ pci:0000:01:00.0

So they are listed now so you should be able to switch.

Exactly, this was what i wanted to happen! Thanks to everyone for the help! I need to read up on some things and find out exactly what just happened and why it happened this way.

1 Like

Did you just add radeon in the MODULES=section and run the command sudo mkinitcpio -P to make it work?

Everything i did almost line for line is above. There was quite a bit of output. Something tells me had i not changed (radeon) to “radeon” i would’ve had problems but yea, MODULES="" was changed to MODULES=“radeon” and basically a shutdown and a boot later its listed.

Well you can mark @joekamprad answer as the solution if everything is working.

Im going to check to make sure the card is working and then after ill mark it.

yes he added radeon to modules and rebuild kernel images to load the radeon module in early boot state.
This seems to make the discrete gpu available to listproviders.
Seems it was somehow not fully loading all needed stuff for the AMD GPU without adding it to be started early…

I was only betting in the dark with my suggestion to try that… as i do not find any recommendation to do so…

1 Like

b.t.w. thanks to @petsam :1st_place_medal: to hint us on the mkinitcpio.conf format…
It must be indeed use () and not “” you can see in original file from archpackage:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/archlinux/mkinitcpio/master/mkinitcpio.conf

Calamares still sets “” on adding needed options to the files inside install process…

2 Likes

According to radeontop it is running but Im not confident its running correctly because when obs records a video it glitches out, the same as with the intel igpu. Should I go back into the config file and rebuild the image after changing it to () instead of “”?

Edit: perhaps I need to try reinstalling or using different drivers. I think I jumped in the deep end too quickly :sweat_smile: