Kernel, video, MX

Hello, have notebook Medion with Arch. 2-3 weeks ago does not work - screen is not stable, in 1-3 seconds everything moves, absolute impossible to do anything. Then I have installed enOS, then Manjaro. The same.
Then installed MX (v. 4.9) - everything OK.
Then tried Mint (v. 5.4) - also OK.
Only - both (Mint and MX) would not like.
Assumption - last kernel version does not love video card of Medion.
Question - can you use graphical tool (XFCE) to determine which kernel to use and then not automatically update?
…Or through terminal.
Or other problem?
Thank you

If you install akm it is a graphical kernel selector. You could first try 5.10 which is the current linux- lts kernel.

If that is still too new, you could add the kernel-lts repo and install linux 5.4. That will supported for quite some time still. Once you are running the 5.4 kernel you shouldn’t get any automatic updates to a later kernel. Only updates which are backported to 5.4 which will mostly be security related fixes.

2 Likes

you can check

uname -a 
inxi -Fza 
1 Like

Thanks, but a problem (for me):
akm can be installed AFTER the enOS installation.
Unfortunately, I have practically no possibility - from the first start after successful installation image on screen moves quickly and almost without interruption, thus you can not do anything further, for example enter a command.
Can I maybe somehow enOS with older kernel install?
Thank you.

You could arch-chroot into the installed system from the live setup - and make whatever changes seem good. Instruction for that are on the wiki here. That could include AKM - and/or adding the repo mentioned to get a 5.4 based kernel (AKM should pick it up if the repo is already added.)

Some trouble to go through - but at least it won’t leave you without EnOS (or choices, for that matter).

1 Like

OK, I will try.
Thanks.

1 Like

If you boot into a black screen you can try to drop to a TTY and connect to wifi and login and download it there with

pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers

Update grub and reboot

Otherwise, chroot is the next best option.

If you can do either of these you would also be able to do as suggested to install the 5.4 kernel as well. That’s a bit more work however. But still doable.

1 Like