Kernel update

A terminal-centric distro seems like a very strange choice for someone who wants a GUI to update his system.

In any case, opening a terminal and typing yay is not very difficult.

5 Likes

No need to write linux, the u option takes care of that. There is no need to reinstall the kernel.

To update just use

sudo pacman -Syu

or, shorter:

yay
3 Likes

Not to mention the ā€œmore CUI-centricā€ option to simply call the Welcome app and update it from therein. Still a lot safer than any GUI app.
Let me repeat that GUIs serve a purpose to conveniently look for software & get an easy access to info about them.

2 Likes

i am installing EOS for many reasons , top 1 is manjaro community kinda toxic / weird. EOS community always try to help me

4 Likes

that means after install EOS , then new kernel released so automatic update or i need to update that?

Yes. It is automatic.

When the new kernel comes out you will move to it with normal system updates

You have to actually install the updates but they come automatically. Itā€™s a rolling release itā€™s always updating! So yes it automatically updates. As @dalto said it installs with normal updates.

another question is can i install gnome with kde? like i can switch to kde or gnome when i want . ?

You can, but you probably shouldnā€™t.

Installing multiple desktops introduces a lot of minor issues. While it isnā€™t that big of deal to work around them, unless you have the experience to do so, it will likely cause frustration.

1 Like

Updating in Enos is so easy. Just typing yay works most of the time.
In Ubuntu I had to do

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

yay is so much simpler.

1 Like

eos install done
I canā€™t find snap and flatpak. how to completely install pamac ?

Did you install pamac-all? Pamac-all will install flatpak and snap support. Other versions of pamac will not.

1 Like

i installed pamac. not pamac all. i got error with pamac-all , right now how to install pamac-all?

I donā€™t know as I never would put that on my system. I just know pamac-all contains the flatpak and snap support. Sorry.

On Arch, flatpak and snap are not nearly as needed. Arch has all the latest software as itā€™s a rolling release. Why use containerized apps on a rolling release?

3 Likes

Pamac-all appears to install and work just fine using yay to install it. What was happening on your end?

2 Likes
yay -Syu pamac-all

Iā€™ve installed pamac but never use it. yay is so much better.

1 Like

i was able to install pamac , appreciate your work and i subscribed your youtube channel

1 Like

i think form here , this is a new topic ? any moderator can help to make in new page with new topic name

What the new topic? Everything here looks solved??