Kernel update killing Ethernet connections

Did an update today (3/18), and after rebooting to the updated kernel, I got a “no network connection” from the welcome app. Checked Ethernet cables, restarted cable modem, no luck. Booted in to the LTS kernel, and everything’s happy. I know this isn’t an Endeavour issue per se, just wondering if anyone else had seen it.

Not sure wireless was working either as the only options it showed were old motel connections, but I don’t use wireless at home so can’t be sure one way or another.

Kernel regressions do happen, so if you hit one it’s normally just a case of switching to a backup kernel (as you did) then waiting for the next point-release.

The other thing you can do is check whether this is known by the kernel developers already, and if not then bisect the kernel to find out the exact commit(s) that introduced the problem and report it.

@serutan
For the record, could you show some info about the ethernet hardware:

inxi -nza

For the record - Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171 Gigabit Ethernet
Vendor : Micro-Star MSI driver : alx v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speeed: 2.5GT/s
lanes: 1 port: d000 bus-iD:03:00.0 chip-ID: 1969:10a1 class-ID:0200
IF: enp3s0 state: down (disconnected at momement) mac:

The computer is an MSI gaming laptop with Optimus; I’m running it as straight Nvidia graphics since the Optimus solutions I’ve read about don’t seem worth bothering with given how I use it.

1 Like