Kernel / sound issue: HP ENVY x360

It always looks like the photo: when starting from the ssd and from the live usb as well

Is that new or what that like that before. To boot from the live installation media, you have to go into your bios/uefi and tell the bios/uefi that your usb device is your primary boot device. If that grub prompt comes from a corrupted file system and it doesn’t know what usb device to boot from it will try to boot the main disk. That is usually done by pressing del, f2, f9,f10 or f12 as soon as your system starts to boot up so before you get to grub.

It “always” was like this, that means the last two days since EndeavourOS is installed. But it is possible to type exit and get to the regular grub start menu and select EndeavourOS there, so it wasn’t urgent to fix it. But not it’s bad because I don’t know how to start from the live usb. The boot order is right and I didn’t change anything there and just checked today that the usb is still set as the primary device.

What happens when you boot from the usb, you go straight into that grub prompt? What motherboard you have, all motherboards have some f-key that allows you to choose the boot device on start of your system so you could try that.

This is how booting from usb currently looks like

How did you create the bootable usb drive, with what tool did you copy the iso to your usb drive?
https://discovery.endeavouros.com/installation/create-install-media-usb-key/2021/03

Might be better for a mod to split this topic about your booting from a flash drive into a separate topic, since it went way off from your original topic title.

Yes, that’s a good idea. I’ll start a new topic for that, if I can’t find a solution today. I used Deepin Boot Maker though.

I some a forum topic that Ventoy was recommended at some point. Can you try recreating your live usb with Ventoy, it’s also listed on that link I shared about creating usb installation media and make sure it’s the most recent iso of EndeavourOS.

Thanks. The problem is currently, that / is completly full, so that there is no free disk space to install anything: only 88,9 MB of 45,5 GB are free and I don’t have any idea what to delete. The tmp folder can’t be deleted and the failed install of linux-mainline via pamac today used all of the free disk space.

It took 3,5 hours for linux-mainline to compile for me.

1 Like

Try using the command-line method then mentioned here. So using dd, find your usb device, make sure it isn’t mounted and then run the following as mentioned on that page.

It worked with the cp command and the installation is almost complete.

Perfect. 3,5 hrs is manageable tomorrow, thanks.

Great! I hope you made a backup of your personal files before starting the install?

That was on an Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz.

Why? /home remains untouched and will not be formatted.

I didn’t know what you were planning to do for your filesystem as in what filesystem(ext4 or btrfs) you were planning to setup, but sounds like you went for the setup you had before you reinstalled with ext4.

After a little more research, btrfs should really be quite safe. It’s at least worth a try.
Since another new installation in needed for this anyway, the size of the partitions could also be adjusted. In the case of a 500 GB ssd, would you use more than 50 GB for / ? Maybe 100, after the last time all the 50 GB disk space was full while pamac was running.

I setup my btrfs setup manually since I’m not running EndeavourOS so I’m not sure what the installers setups for you or allows you to do, but I think I copied the sub-volume setup of what the EndeavourOS installer defaults by.

/dev/mapper/luksdev                     1.9T  1.2T  665G  65% /
/dev/mapper/luksdev                     1.9T  1.2T  665G  65% /var/cache
/dev/mapper/luksdev                     1.9T  1.2T  665G  65% /var/log
/dev/mapper/luksdev                     1.9T  1.2T  665G  65% /home

So in short these are all sub-volumes located on the btrfs filesystem I created and they all share the space that is available. That way I don’t have to decide per partition/volume how much space I want to locate for each. So if you select a disk and that you want to use the btrfs filesystem the installer will create a btrfs filesystem and with probably the same sub-volumes as listed above and setup a /boot and /efi partition as well depending whether you have a bios or uefi system.

Be sure to make a backup of your home directory you will need to have the installer wipe your current disk setup entirely, since you have a ext4 setup now.

I just setup a vm with EndeavourOS using the installer defaults for btrfs, it’s is the same as I setup.

grep btrfs /etc/fstab
UUID=4102fb01-6966-4641-a49d-fcb64b271a24 / btrfs subvol=/@,noatime,compress=zstd 0 0
UUID=4102fb01-6966-4641-a49d-fcb64b271a24 /home btrfs subvol=/@home,noatime,compress=zstd 0 0
UUID=4102fb01-6966-4641-a49d-fcb64b271a24 /var/cache btrfs subvol=/@cache,noatime,compress=zstd 0 0
UUID=4102fb01-6966-4641-a49d-fcb64b271a24 /var/log btrfs subvol=/@log,noatime,compress=zstd 0 0

1 Like

Thanks, that’s good to know. The installation is already running though. What do you mean with “the installer defaults”? The auto installation, without manual partitioning? I took

500 MB for /boot/efi
8 GB for swap
90 GB for / (better be safe than sorry)
Rest for /home

During the installation, all you have to do is select the disk you want to install on and the select btrfs as your filesystem. The installer will then setup the btrfs sub-volumes for your, which are the ones listed above, you don’t have to select anything for size because all the sub-volumes make use of the same btrfs filessystem. That is why when you check the sizes of the filesystem of sub-volume on a btrfs filesystem you will see that they are the same size.

1 Like