Kernel 5.9 is EOL

It seems kernel 5.9.16 will be latest version of kernel 5.9, with other words it’s EOL.

https://9to5linux.com/linux-kernel-5-9-reaches-end-of-life-upgrade-to-linux-kernel-5-10-lts-now

6 Likes

What a way to make a living…

Nvidia patch for kernel 5.10 is already in dkms package (390 driver).

==> Überprüfe source Dateien mit b2sums...
    NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.138-no-compat32.run ... Durchgelaufen
    kernel-4.16.patch ... Durchgelaufen
    kernel-5.8.patch ... Durchgelaufen
    kernel-5.9.patch ... Durchgelaufen
    kernel-5.10.patch ... FEHLGESCHLAGEN
3 Likes

Wheres my arch 5.10 zen kernel precious?

It’s in the testing repo, should be available soon enough.

2 Likes

New kernel releases often have to wait on upstream patches for Virtualbox and Nvidia driver, 5.9 early suffered from this also, particularly with VBox.

I’d prefer it stayed in testing until upstream addresses their 5.10 “compatibilty”.

3 Likes

Def need my virtual box

1 Like

@LizziAS, VBox 6.1.17-141968 (testbuilds) runs flawlessly with kernel 5.10.2-arch1-1 (testing) in the host.

1 Like

how do i get these testing thingys?

Officially, enable the Testing repos: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_repositories#Testing_repositories

Unofficially, you can cherry-pick the specific packages though that’s a partial upgrade and not the “best” approach.

(However, it won’t make much of a difference if you’re careful and check what is in testing, i.e. make sure the picked packages aren’t built against different libraries etc. etc.)

1 Like
==> dkms install --no-depmod -m vboxhost -v 6.1.16_OSE -k 5.10.2-zen1-1-zen
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.10.2-zen1-1-zen (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/6.1.16_OSE/build/make.log for more information.
==> Warning, `dkms install --no-depmod -m vboxhost -v 6.1.16_OSE -k 5.10.2-zen1-1-zen' returned 10

@axt

i think we many have different ideas of what flawlessly means

of course i did do an incremental upgrade doue to this error

and trying to reinstall vbox host dkms

Preparing...
Warning: virtualbox-host-dkms-6.1.16-3 is up to date -- reinstalling
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Checking keyring...
Checking integrity...
Loading packages files...
Checking file conflicts...
==> dkms remove --no-depmod -m vboxhost -v 6.1.16_OSE -k 5.4.85-1-lts
==> Unable to remove module vboxhost/6.1.16_OSE for kernel 5.10.2-zen1-1-zen: Not found in dkms status output.
==> Unable to remove module vboxhost/6.1.16_OSE for kernel 5.10.2-arch1-1: Not found in dkms status output.
Reinstalling virtualbox-host-dkms (6.1.16-3)...
Running post-transaction hooks...
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
Install DKMS modules
==> dkms install --no-depmod -m vboxhost -v 6.1.16_OSE -k 5.4.85-1-lts
==> dkms install --no-depmod -m vboxhost -v 6.1.16_OSE -k 5.10.2-zen1-1-zen
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.10.2-zen1-1-zen (x86_64)
==> Warning, `dkms install --no-depmod -m vboxhost -v 6.1.16_OSE -k 5.10.2-zen1-1-zen' returned 10
==> dkms install --no-depmod -m vboxhost -v 6.1.16_OSE -k 5.10.2-arch1-1
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.10.2-arch1-1 (x86_64)
==> Warning, `dkms install --no-depmod -m vboxhost -v 6.1.16_OSE -k 5.10.2-arch1-1' returned 10
==> depmod 5.10.2-arch1-1
==> depmod 5.4.85-1-lts
==> depmod 5.10.2-zen1-1-zen
Transaction successfully finished.

maybe the zen one took this time?

that would be a NO!

5.10 zen only boots in fallback mode and virtual box is borked

If you enabled [testing] you’ll also need [community-testing]:

$ pacman -Ss virtualbox-host-dkms
community-testing/virtualbox-host-dkms 6.1.16-4 [installed]
    VirtualBox Host kernel modules sources
community/virtualbox-host-dkms 6.1.16-3 [installed: 6.1.16-4]
    VirtualBox Host kernel modules sources

(and also [multilib-testing] if you have [multilib] enabled.)

1 Like

ahahahaha looks like a quazy rabbit hole!
ahahahahhahaha!

Yup! You’re right! It all works.

Ok so i disabled all the testing once again just to prevent any breakages from further upgrades to testing…

1 Like

Especially when it comes to exact work. I was not talking about VBox 6.1.16.

1 Like

@LizziAS, btw., 32 GiB swap is completely oversized.

The times when there were recommendations from some users to set swap twice as large from the RAM are at least 15 years over.

Even if you were to use suspend and the 16 GiB were occupied, it would only be 16 GiB with your system.

swap should be kept small. If you should actually need more than 16 GiB often (with several large VMs at the same time), you should plug in real RAM.

1 Like

Thanks for that tidbit! Maybe more ram could be in the works if we get that new stimulus check…maybe… I think though that a new couch might be the bigger need as my cats like to use my couches as to sharpen their claws on… or maybe some ring outdoor lights to track how many cats are coming to feed at night.

I didn’t say that you should buy more RAM, but that the swap is completely oversized.

For example, for the VM shown, you have just 2 GiB allocated. You have much more resources free.

At the same time you have created a .vmdk file of 465 GiB. Seriously? .vdi (expanding dynamically) would also be much better. USB is also only 2.0 (OHCI), not 3.0 (xHCI).

Everything from your screenshot that stands out.

1 Like

i have windows install on an ssd and i use that install with my virtual box by creating a vmdk file for the bare metal install of windows

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "/home/lizzias/VirtualBox/windowsten.vmdk" -rawdisk /dev/sdb

of course that means your user has to be a member of the vbox group as well as the disk group and it doesnt hurt any to do a

sudo chown -R $user:$user /dev/sdb

as well

@axt

in addition i also have a shared directory so that i can run Tamriel Trade Center natively on my virtual box from the file that is located in my steam play install of eso’s that ususes proton 5.11 something or other that is located in a mock My Documents folder that is entirely managed by Miniongg from the aur to manage my addons.

also i have no need of usb 3 for my windows virtual box

:slight_smile: :blush:

virtual box and ESO running, along with one browser open with 10 tabs