Kernel 5.12 is not really that bad

Well, as long as I don’t have any problems with the current kernel, I’ll stick with that. I only have the LTS as a fallback. I have the feeling that EndeavourOS makes it too easy for people to use Arch (including me). Many would be better off with Mint … sorry

How so?

5.12 is OK, but I’ve been testing on a baytrail and the cstate freeze bug is back (work around is still intel_idle.max_cstate=1) It takes longer to freeze - about a week vs. a few hours on kernels prior to 5.3. 5.10 still works without freezing. Hopefully the regression won’t be back-ported. A week until failure is too long for a bisect! Really, I’ll retire the baytrail before 5.10 goes EOL, LOL.

I use mainly current kernels or zen. You know what they say…nothing but the zen! :grinning:

It’s a simple matter of logic: if I can’t get along with the latest kernel for whatever reason, I’ll go back to the stable version until I can expect the problems to be fixed by further patches. Mint came to my mind just because there is a lot of thinking done for the users. Sorry, nothing against Mint or *buntu or or …

But hey …, it’s quite late here, I should finally go to sleep …

4 Likes

Maybe. I have no problem with people who are here to learn Arch more. EOS wants to be a middle ground. If folks want to have a nice easy distro that doesn’t require them to learn or know anything, I’m right there with you. There’s several exceedingly good distros for them.

I’ve watched and read a lot of reviews of endeavour that pin us as beginners Arch and I think that’s not good for the users or the team. It sets an unrealistic expectation.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you in some regards.

4 Likes

Nothing has come of going to bed yet. I booted the 5.10 LTS kernel out of nonsense and lo and behold: no Internet after the desktop was set up (the icon in the systray was crossed out in red). With the 5.12 all was well again. I remember having this problem last year, but I don’t remember the solution (I never used an older kernel again). This seemed to happen whenever I wanted to use an older kernel than the current one. Well, I’m tired … :sleeping:

Given that 5.10 was the newest kernel not that long ago and it worked for you when it was the newest kernel, it should still work for you. Perhaps you need some dkmd goodness? Can’t imagine it though. What are your system specs?

sudo inxi -Fxzmc0  

My $0.02. I like the idea of running one of the patched kernels (e.g., Zen, Xanmod, etc.) as I get a sense of the system being more responsive. The problem is that it seems as though the segment of the Arch community which maintains the patched kernels does not maintain an LTS branch and jumped on 5.12 almost immediately after its release.

2 Likes

If you’re still in a bind, and everything used to work fine on the old 5.4 lts kernel, you can still use that if you’d prefer. One of our own maintains it for us.

yay -S linux-lts54 linux-lts54-headers

Update grub

And that should be it I believe.

They all pretty much build off latest for whatever reason.

1 Like

Better to be put on diet? For better boot? :thinking:

1 Like

I love 5.12, and I will love 5.13 even more.

idk , didnt had any issues here :slight_smile: Rocksolid here :slight_smile:

System:    Kernel: 5.12.5-arch1-1 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.1.0 Console: tty pts/0
Distro: EndeavourOS base: Arch Linux
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P8H61-M LE/USB3 v: Rev x.0x serial: <filter>
UEFI: American Megatrends v: 0801 date: 09/26/2011
Memory:    RAM: total: 7.75 GiB used: 2.7 GiB (34.8%)
RAM Report: missing: Required tool dmidecode not installed. Check --recommends
CPU:       Info: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-2500K bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 cache:
L2: 6 MiB
flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 26341
Speed: 1596 MHz min/max: 1600/3700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1596 2: 1596 3: 1596 4: 1596
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]
vendor: Sapphire Limited driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display: server: X.org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo>
Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing.
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Device-2: AMD Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590] vendor: Sapphire Limited
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.12.5-arch1-1 running: yes
Sound Server-2: JACK v: 0.125.0 running: no
Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 14.2 running: yes
Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.28 running: no
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: ASUSTeK P8P67 and other motherboards driver: r8168 v: 8.048.03-NAPI port: d000
bus-ID: 04:00.0
IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 2.05 TiB used: 709.97 GiB (33.9%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST2000DM008-2FR102 size: 1.82 TiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 222.89 GiB used: 11.69 GiB (5.2%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda3
ID-2: /boot size: 973.4 MiB used: 87.9 MiB (9.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-3: /boot/efi size: 511 MiB used: 280 KiB (0.1%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1
ID-4: /home size: 1.79 TiB used: 698.19 GiB (38.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
ID-5: /var/log size: 222.89 GiB used: 11.69 GiB (5.2%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda3
Swap:      ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 8.5 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/sda4
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 22.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 37.0 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 1859
Info:      Processes: 198 Uptime: 8h 08m Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 11.1.0 Packages: 1048 Shell: Bash
v: 5.1.8 inxi: 3.3.03

It’s the same with me. Just out of curiosity, I wanted to boot an older kernel (good if you have it, but don’t need it), but that causes problems again. With Manjaro I always had the last LTS kernel in use, without problems. Strange, the substructure is the same …

My new Dell arrived today!
Should I prefry it or not?

Or nuke the ssd only since it looks horrible…

The problem with Windows is if you shrink the partition in Windows to create space it puts the partition in the middle which i don’t like. I’m not sure if you use gparted whether you can shrink it so that it leaves the partition space behind all the Windows files, and recovery etc so it’s at the end behind all the Windows partitions.

I guess it also depends on whether you want to keep Windows on it and dual boot. I don’t think you want to bake this one.

Edit: Keep in mind also it has bitlocker installed on it. 219.75 GB? Is that a partition you created?

What kind of question is that Rick? :joy:

I didn’t touch that thing so this is how it came.

2 Likes

Nuke it! No more questions. :rofl:

3 Likes

maxresdefault

Just kidding. If you really don’t need windows why keep it?

6 Likes