Kernel 5.12.1 - no ZFS

Thx, i had no idea about priority :upside_down_face:

Yes, same exact package and name. They are literally just copies. There should be no changes or special handling needed.

Just add those repos and install the zfs-* packages you need.

OK, zfs-dkms was just updated, and the archzfs packages will be updated soon. I’ve also opened a PR upstream with ZFS so the compat patches are backported to 2.0.4. Hang tight.

1 Like

Yes, and it works fine for me with 5.12 kernel

1 Like

I just realized today that there is still a ZFS issue pending against kernel 5.12:

I found out by chance when i watched the journal today and it happened to me exactly at that time. It does not seem to have a negative side effect.

When I search the journal for “Attempted to advance past end of bvec iter” I find it 21 times since 5. May. It basically happens once every day.

2 Likes

Any of those reports on Arch? I run ZFS, and it is (so far safely) up to Linux 5.12.6-zen1-1-zen with appropriate ZFS modules. No known issues…:crossed_fingers:

That report is in relation to an Arch kernel.

There is something relevant near the bottom:

Based on inspection of the Linux kernel code, this warning comes from bvec_iter_advance() in include/linux/bvec.h, when the caller attempts to advance the byte range past the end of the bvec. This check is also in 5.11, but it can’t be hit because iov_iter_advance() in lib/iov_iter.c doesn’t have a special case for bvec iters that winds up calling bvec_iter_advace(); instead it falls through to a more generic case that advances the bvec iter without performing this check. Given this, the underlying issue is probably present in 5.11 and previous kernels, it’s just not being warned about there.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. So - I am working with a timebomb ticking… :grin: Good thing I’ve got a net (clone of data drive)…

Since zfs on Linux is pretty widely used, given the above, it is more likely that it is not a major issue.

1 Like

Reading through the new comments, it looks like this issue has been happening with previous kernels, it just hasn’t been popping up in logs before kernel 5.12.

1 Like