Keeping cool in a land with no aircon (UK)

My first job was in Ayuthaya - and that sucked, the aircon was ancient and just wasn’t worth turning on… so I kept fans blasting and soon learned not to bother opening any doors or windows…

Fans and showers kept me going all day indoors - and between showers, damp shirts and spray bottles to get some effect from the fans blowing all that hot air at me :wink:

First summer here was a good 40C, and nearly killed me.

Given the actual amount of power needed to cool a room, without a proper heat pump it’s all a bit useless… though I never had a swamp cooler, anything using power inside the house without a radiator outside is just increasing the overall temperature.

I also keep the house shut up tight now in the hot season… we have a plastic kiddy pool which generally gets filled up now, so we can just jump in on days when we’re downstairs with no air running.

If you can get some good wind outside, then a fine spray is nicer than a shower, some restaurants put up plastic piping with fine holes, it doesn’t get you very wet - but with a breeze/fans it’s very good.

latent heat of evaporation is much over looked - i have a simple basin filled with water (doesn’t have to be cold), an impromptu frame in it with a small towel over it, ends in the water, and a fan blowing over it - drops the local air temp by a couple of degrees so helps keep the edge off in reality. It takes a lot of energy to go from one state (liquid) to another (gas), hence the cooling effect (same principle of how a fridge works, albeit a different liquid/gas). Oh, and when i didn’t have electric and it was 40 with a light breeze, beer bottles in socks in a tray of water in the shade with a light wind would cool it by quite a few degrees, and you can’t beat cold beer when its hot!

If you like really spicy food, hot and humid is the best weather for it. While your mouth will be on fire,1 the rest of your body will feel much cooler.

:hot_pepper:

Also, it should go without saying, but stay hydrated. :frog:

1 and possibly the… southern end, too, depending on the particular source of spiciness… Really strong peppers like Bhut Jolokia are generally safe from hot exhaust, but certain curry spice mixes are definitely not.

2 Likes

This is the logic. Spicy foods causes excessive sweating, due to which body becomes cooler.

As I am not native from the state where I am residing now, hence, many restaurants are out of our taste. Here people eat extremely spicy​:fire: :hot_face: foods, which burns out the mouth.

But this due to logic which you had told.

1 Like

Honestly what I do is have a hot shower (yes hot), don’t dry, just put on ur clothes. Wearing a bit wet preferably cotton clothes and water evaporation will keep you cool for a while. Repeat as needed!

Just put your clown makeup on, you’ll be totally fine!

Honka_old-128px-40

I don’t take hot shower by name, rather the normal tank water becomes hot due to temperature, hence normal shower is also hot shower :laughing: :rofl:.

While at home, I don’t dress much. Only half pant and vest. By this I remain cool in heat as well.

Also, the small space between bed and wall of the room provides cool air, which also cools a lot.

1 Like

Absolutely - but not so easy to find in the UK.
We have all kinds of Basil growing like weeds here - so everything comes with amazing taste.

The second one is made with rice which got toasted and pounded, and if you never tasted ‘namtok moo’ I feel genuinely sorry for you.

Same here, we also use basil leaves for some other purposes as well, for example, making homemade cough treatment extracts.

Stick a small fan in front of that ice to draw cool air to yourself. That worked here a year ago in June when we had 105F instead of 65F (Pacific Northwest).

Absolutely. Every little roadside cantina in the mountains between Chilpancingo & Acapulco serves the spiciest food I’ve ever eaten–and I grew up on Mexican & Tex-Mex. You’ll see the locals parked there with their burros in the evenings.

1 Like

We just hit 105F, trams taken off and emergency services have declared a state of emergency

Come to Finland, here it is about 20 Celsius (68F) and sunny now. :smile:

1 Like

Stick the kettle on, I’ll be round in a bit :rofl:

They use F in Sheffield now? what’s that in English?

It is heavily raining here, still the temperature is 25 degree Celsius.

:rofl:

And you had seen the summer’s temperature which was here.

:grin:

1 Like

There is two F’s in Sheffield :rofl: and am old enough to remember decimalisation. @c00ter used Fahrenheit so I kept it consistent.

Sheffield got to 39.6 at the official temperature recording station, it is 25 today and I feel cold :cold_face: The human body is weird!

I remember that day at school, the teacher came in with some shiny 2p coins for us to look at - Gigmill Junior school :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I also remember the first time I sat in front of a colour TV at my aunt’s house in 1968.

We should educate @c00ter into the error of his ways, not pander to him (",)

1 Like

:smiley: At least I am off work this week, the building I work in is like a storage heater and the windows open only a few inches!!