KDE version installs, but no output when it boots up

So, I can install the KDE version of EOS without noticing any problems with the installation process, but when I go to reboot into my new installation, I don’t get any output. Not even my monitor detects anything; it just goes into standby mode. When I boot it up, I can see the two lines of text at the top of the black screen which usually happens, but then I notice the screen glitch a bit at the top before losing the display output.

I’ve also tried the devel ISO, but that gave the same result.

I’ve been able to get the XFCE version installed using the offline installer, but of course I had to run nvidia-installer-dkms to get the graphics driver properly installed. There weren’t any screen glitches on startup like with the KDE version.

My relevant specs are an RTX 3070 and an Odyssey G7 (monitor).

I tried installing the Gnome version, and that worked.

1 Like

Also tried Cinnamon, which didn’t work in the same way. It’s almost as if it doesn’t want me using my two favorite DEs…

i see some updates on qt/kde today, and users already complaining about issues on already installed systems, I will have a look after some sleep, already 1 oc in the morning here

I just installed KDE again with no issues on my system.

@Azsorlex Welcome
I think is probably related to the graphics card and the G7 monitor which has a max refresh of 240 Hz. I’m not sure what it defaults at and also are you using Display Port which also throws another curve into it?

do you install from Nvidia boot option?

I am using Display Port, however I will say that some time ago in December, I didn’t have this issue on the exact same hardware. I even posted a similar issue here: How to run monitor at 1440p @ 240hz

The output for the XFCE version defaulted to 1024*800 (I don’t remember the exact value) @ 60hz before I installed the driver and rebooted. Then it defaulted to 1440p @ 144hz, but allowed me to select 240hz. Gnome defaulted to 1440p @ 60hz, then the driver install defaulted it to the same as XFCE.

A difference I see between now and back then is that the installer doesn’t have the option to install the nvidia drivers by default, which KDE and Cinnamon seem to not like.

Yes. Tried both options and they had the exact same result.

I thought there is a tick box for installing nvidia drivers in the online install section?

Not anymore ¯_(ツ)_/¯

It’s been a while since i installed on my nvidia machine. :laughing:

Edit: I only have a Geforce GTX 1060

I’ve found the cause! I’ve done a lot of testing, and I can say for certain that the problem is the lack of the proprietary driver (caused by the nvidia tickbox being taken out of the installer).

So, I continued testing the different versions of EOS, and the rest of them didn’t work, meaning only XFCE and Gnome had some kind of output. While the last one was going (Deepin), I remembered that Ctrl + Alt + F2 was a thing I could do on Linux, so when the black screen arrived, I did that and I was able to get a visual output for the console. I then ran nmcli device wifi connect SSID password PASSWORD, followed by sudo nvidia-installer-dkms and reboot, and it immediately worked. I installed the KDE version again and repeated the steps above, and I got an output.

Of course this still doesn’t resolve the problem of no output by default. Where would the best place to have the devs made aware of this? Github?

1 Like

I had the same problem yesterday. In my first try I thought I accidently didn’t click on the NVidia boot options. Second try I noticed it simply isn’t there. Both times I did update the welcome app and mirrors. On my third try I simply started the installer and I saw the Nvidia packages/tickbox.

I tried two times again with and without updating the welcome app and mirrors. It seems that updating those two (or only one) disables the NVidia tickbox somehow. At least that happend with my testing.

1 Like

It’s been a while since i installed on my Nvidia machine. So the latest ISO has the ability to boot on Nvidia drivers but you say it doesn’t have the box to tick to install Nvidia drivers in the online section? I guess I’ll have to check that myself. :thinking: I’m not sure how it works then. If you boot on Nvidia i would assume it would automatically install Nvidia but I don’t know how it’s set up now?

That seems quite possible, considering I always updated the welcome app. I’ll take a look once I finish setting up my system.

I see two possibilities: either the Nvidia tickbox should be there and the update removes it somehow, or it was intentionally removed by the devs, which is why it supposedly doesn’t show up on the updated version.

Just wanted to let you know that this is not the case. The new ISO has boot from Nvidia and if you select proper boot it automatically installs the Nvidia driver.

Is it a dev ISO? Because I tried version 2021.03.13 and still had the same issue.

Okay here is the answer. If you update the Welcome app you will not get nvidia installed as it will not use the packages list so it has the old scripts. I think I’m answering this correctly as i asked the devs and i have done a lot of help on the Nvidia side. :crossed_fingers:

Edit: The way it is supposed to work is you boot up with Nvidia and it will automatically run the scripts to install the proper Nvidia drivers based on the hardware info it reads from the database. If you upodate the app then it no longer uses the package list that is set up to do this.

Okay. But then if updating the welcome app breaks the installation to such a degree, shouldn’t the feature be removed?