KDE remember windows position / scale

This week I implemented a much-requested feature: KDE apps now remember their main window positions when closed and re-launched! They even remember their positions (and soon their sizes too) on a per-screen-arrangement basis.

However, there are two important caveats here:

1. Right now this only affects QWidgets-based KDE apps, and only their main windows.
  2. This feature only works on X11.

I simply can not believe this!
20 (T W E N T Y !!!) years in making finally arrived :exploding_head: :scream: :scream_cat:

8 Likes

Closer to 30, I’d have thought - Amigas were doing this in the 80s :grin: Then again - Amigas were doing quite a few things that take time to catch up to… I still haven’t found any WM’s with differing resolutions (and colour depths) on the same monitor at the same time…

1 Like

No i mean specifically KDE, other than them everyone have done that from Windows to Mac and lots of Linux distros…Basically they were a LITTLE ( :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :scream:) late to party because kwin dev had some difficulty with it way back then (probably grumpiness mostly :laughing:)

P.S. And yes Amigas was and still are awesome :sunglasses:

While I can’t think of single use case for this behavior, I know you have been waiting for quite some time.

So…congrats! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Amateur! :rofl:

:wink:

Thx, that’s really important for my “weird for someone else” esoteric workflow :yum:
Plus i enjoy when something just works :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You could ALWAYS do this manually in KDE by going to More Actions --> Configure Special Application Settings for each application. Settings configured in this way will persist across application launches and reboots. This new announcement seemingly simply establishes the behavior as default for the DE.

Don’t misunderstand me, as one who has used this feature manually for many years, I am grateful for this update!!

3 Likes

Exact;y, that’s very different things to us users :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Think of an i3 type layout on a KDE desktop, on particular monitors, and associated with specific activities (as required). That’s the use case for me. It lets me set my default applications always to be in a particular location, window size, workspace, and activity, without having windows bouncing around to be dragged and resized at each launch.

Extremely useful feature for OCD people :sweat_smile:

"I left this frog picture on left bottom corner 14px left from the edge!!! " :scream: :frog:

2 Likes

OCD==me!

1 Like

If you’re running X, couldn’t you get this behaviour all along with wmctrl and a script or 2 (possibly on boot)? That can give you a complete setup of multiple workspaces, with apps, sizes and positioning all pre-determined…

For me the applications often opened at the most inconvenient positions or on the wrong monitor. So overall I had to always create some rules for windows to at least remember the position. It always seemed weird to me that KDE didn’t automatically remember the position of any window.

2 Likes

With respectful appreciation and admiration for these suggestions, I do not have such abilities yet—I’m still a novice, a mere user. I’ve always used the “easy” (kde gui) way, which let me establish a workflow quickly and efficiently. I’d love to learn—eventually—how to do these things, but I have to admit a decided lack of knowledge right now. Perhaps others have done what you propose and can discuss in a way that I currently can’t?
:wink:

You can already do that with any window on plasma. It already lets you set default positions, activities, screens and sizes for any window class with a simple GUI.

What this change allows is to remember where those windows were left and put them back there next time they open.

2 Likes

I know! That’s what I was trying to say in my original post (#6 above), but I must not have said it very well. Apologies—and thanks!

1 Like

This is a massive irritation for me when I use Plasma. I always have to set KWin rules to force windows to be centered on the monitor in focus (I use dual displays), so I’m really happy to see this implemented (if it works!).

2 Likes

Sorry - I was just pointing out an alternate way of achieving a setup that you desire. wmctrl takes commands, including program, workspace to go to, x/y co-ords for placement, and x/y co-ords for sizing - and makes it so. Takes some setting up though! Basically you place everything and size everything where you want it, then a little utility reports the x’s and y’s involved, and you can add them in to the command set.

Not suggesting you bother with it - just thought you might want to know it existed! :grin:

1 Like

I do! Thank you! It will be a fun experiment some weekend very soon. Novice, but trying to learn!

All my best,

B

Yes, Twenty years…
As also a MS-Windows user, we can scroll a window without giving it focus, only since Windows10.
Linux DE did this at least since 2000.
Twenty years…