Kde discover does not require password to update/install apps

Hello! I recently installed endeavour on 2 computers and it’s working great, but I have a concern. Whenever I update/install with kde discover, it does not ask for my password but installs/updates anyway. Isn’t that a huge security risk? How do I fix this?

If you remove packagekit-qt5, discover won’t be able to install or update repo applications.

Honestly, discover isn’t a safe way to update repo packages anyway. It doesn’t support manual intervention.

3 Likes

I would seriously not use discover. If you want a GUI to update/install then I recommend pamac, several versions in AUR. Pamac-all version also includes snap/flatpak support if that is important to you.

Edit to add, Bauh is another one I usually install, also snap/flatpak/ support and really good at finding apps, but my go-to is always pamac.

1 Like

This has been something I truly hate about discover. My suggestion is to install pamac-all. and or topgrade.

1 Like

My suggestion is to use yay.

2 Likes

On KDE Neon it asks for a password (and on Plasma pinephone lol) so I guess it’s a polkit setting, but it never bothered me either way so I didn’t look any further into it, I just got into some polkit coz fedora33 beta asks for PW when opening local drives in dolphin, Endeavour doesn’t so I had to add some polkit stuff that I copy/pasted (from a fedora page).

Actually both Garuda and EOS do depending on how the drives are mounted after first landing on the desktop. I have two partitions on one drive until I manually change the mount point When going to access them I get asked for my password.

Interesting… my 2 drives are only accessed in dolphin (not fstab or mounted before) and they don’t ask for pw. They are both set up with the same user and pw as my working user so maybe that’s related. And Neon opens them wo pw as well.
There was a time when afaik all KDE distros I tried asked me for the pw so i used to add my drives to fstab but since installing Endeavour I haven’t needed to, it just works.

I just straight up install the OS, create folders in /mnt/ for the mount points of my secondary drives / partitions, then use Disk to mount each drive / partition to it’s corresponding folder.