KDE apps on gnome, flatpak or repo install?

I am running endeavor gnome and want to install Digikam. If I install in the normal way with pacman it pulls in a huge list of KDE system dependencies. Is it better to install using flatpak so the KDE packages are isolated from my base gnome install?

Just for what is stated above, personally I would go with flatpak. It’s a personal preference. Others surely have different ones.

I don’t think so. What benefit would that isolation have?

With flatpak, you are going to be pulling in even more because of the big runtime you will need. It will make your package list smaller but it won’t save space.

It may save a little bandwidth if you are on a metered connection because the updates will be less frequent and more efficient.

Thanks for the replies. The main concern I have is whether any of the KDE services get started automatically or whether they are only started when I run digikam. The dependencies include packages like akonadi-contacts, phonon, knotifications etc. I don’t want kde background services running every time I boot when I will only be using the app occasionally. If they are just installed but only run when I open digikam then I don’t mind.

The repo version is more up to date than the flatpak one so that is an advantage with the normal install.

Disk space and download/update bandwidth aren’t issues.

Even on plasma digikam is a pain because of the akonadi dependency.

That being said, I don’t believe any of those packages are services that are always on. I think they are just things you need to have installed. If they are services you could always disable them. In most cases Arch-based distros don’t enable services by default anyway.

If digikam is the only kde related package you need, it may be more effective to run the official appimage instead of the flatpak. It is completely selfcontained and only has what you need to run digikam.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

One idea might be to install it in a virtual machine, along with any DE you choose. Then your current install is not affected. And you’ll see in the VM if there are any issues.

My only KDE based software is kdenlive. And as I want to keep it synced, repos install is the way to go.

I have digikam installed on several PCs or laptops while running Gnome as DE. To be honest I do not see any specific KDE services running after the installation of digikam. And even if there are some I do not see any problems related to that.