Just having nose about

Hello to the EndeavourOS community, I’ve been lurking here for a little while, thought it wouldn’t hurt to say hello.

I am currently making a list of possible distributions to move to and Endeavour is certainly on it. Admittedly, I am a bit scared to dip my toes into proper a proper Arch rolling style experience, especially since now, like many others, I am working from home. Explaining to my boss that I’m late to some virtual meeting or another because I disintegrated my install is not my idea of a good time!

Try as I might, I still haven’t managed to get a setup together that is super easy to reinstall. Though I have backups of various kinds, I always get bogged down with the details of what data I want on the cloud vs in offline backups, so I end up with 2-3 different disjointed backup solutions, trying to remember if I have everything I need somewhere that won’t be affected by wiping my hard drives. That makes distro-hopping on bare metal difficult right now. I may however set up another PC to mess around on.

I am more and more interested in easy-peasy stability, not just ‘It’s stable if you’re a Gandalf-level greybeard’, so much so that I have even considered leaving rolling release distros behind (I know, shock, horror!). I would even be open to moving to a corporate backed distro, whether that be Fedora or OpenSuse, just for the safety blanket of a long established track record…I even listened to somebody for more than 5 minutes when they suggested Ubuntu.

Long story short: I will keep watching this distribution develop and maybe get involved in the community a bit.

9 Likes

Welcome!

Just let us know if you have any questions.

1 Like

Welcome! :enos:

Don’t be shy, start VM and see how it goes in a long run :slight_smile:
P.S. Beard wouldn’t hurt anyways :upside_down_face: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Already done, but I’m having trouble getting Virtual Box to recognise my resolution. Every time I start troubleshooting it after work, I get distracted somewhere along the way.

A mustache will have to do.

1 Like

If you want to try using a mostly pure Arch system, I could not recommend EndeavourOS enough. It is great, mainly because of this forum full of knowledgeable people wanting to help you.

4 Likes

No! :rofl:

Are you a copper?!
:male_detective:

Try install package

virtualbox-ext-oracle

For resolution, it should help i think and make sure you use VBoxSVGA in video settings of VM :wink:

3 Likes

You had me at lurking…

lurker

:wave: Welcome!

3 Likes

Welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome!

Note that you can change resolution quite simply with the xrandr program.
First, get some info about the display (in the VM):

xrandr --query

Then set a suitable resolution:

xrandr --output Virtual-1 --mode 1600x900

assuming Virtual-1 is your connected monitor and 1600x900 is a suitable (and supported) resolution.

2 Likes

:point_up:

Welcome!

2 Likes

Believe it or not, cops here don’t have mustaches really. Or guns for that matter…

Thanks, will try both!

1 Like

Welcome to the community :beers:

2 Likes

I had the same problem. I’ll post what I think the issue is when I get home. Might be pretty late before I say anything.

1 Like

Welcome @magtuired

1 Like

jump… you sink or swim :+1: but lucky for you/others EOS come with arch lifeguards :rofl:

Welcome … BTW i sell life jacket if you need

5 Likes

Welcome @magtuired!

1 Like

@magtuired !

Welcome aboard !

:enos: :rocketa_purple:

1 Like

Welcome, good to have you with us.

In terms of stability, unless you actively go breaking things, EOS is solid. Just check for known issues for any major update, make a timeshift backup prior, and carry on with life :slight_smile:

In terms of your data solution, here’s my 1-2-3 ;

• All essential data on NAS.
  • Rclone for access to cloud storage where needed.
  • Timeshift for regular system backups

Hope you stay a while!

1 Like

After setting up automated btrfs-snapshots before upgrades I’d describe my systems as “easy-peasy stable”!
If updates should break anything I just revert to a working snapshot. This takes about 2 seconds but requires a reboot.

Before this type of setup I used to fix these sort of problems. This was fun; I learned a lot but nowadyas I just revert and wait for the next update to sort this out upstream. I do have other things to do (like post on this forum… :wink: )

4 Likes

None of course! Silly question. :expressionless:
Ok, next …