Just for Fun: Cyberpunk 2077, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider Benchmarks on Windows 11, Arch Linux, EndevourOS, and Manjaro

It’s not that demanding, you can modify a lot of things, there are also mods that fix stuttering and loading time. I play on a ryzen 5700g, which has an integrated vega gpu, it’s not powerful at all, it’s close to gpus made in 2017, the game is smooth on high settings and areas load in a few seconds, I just disabled those awful god rays. Generally speaking if you can play Skyrim or the Witcher 3, you’re good to go.

I didn’t try the next gen update yet, I just go offline when I want to play fo4. I’m waiting for the dust to settle. It didn’t add anything cool, just more bugs.

I use ModOrganiser2 for Skyrim, all-Linux since Windows 8 dropped. Modding is much, much easier than it used to be, and the successor to Vortex will be Linux native. The pace of change here, especially with gaming and performance, has been substantial.

1 Like

I’ve exclusively switched to playing to gaming on Linux. I have played a lot of games on it, on Steam and not on Steam. The experience has been mixed, but overall going on great.

1 Like

I only have Intel so I don’t want to risk purchasing it as even if it ran it would probably be a bad experience. I normally check out videos of people playing with Intel just to see if it’s something I would be willing to try.

I became interested, at least to better understand what it is about.
Keep in mind, however, that I’m new to Linux, so many things that may be obvious still escape me. Sooner or later I’ll learn I guess.

Anyway, yes, I’m interested as I said before.

Nobara was my first distro, then as usual for novices like me I started reinstalling when I had problems, and then moved on to distro hopping. In short, a classic. XD

I also tried garuda for a while. Then by distro hopping I went to other distros and ended up with EOS. Today I can say that I prefer the latter to garuda.

In any case, I installed garuda on the latest available hard disk and I’m installing the same three games as in the test. I will do the benchmarks and update the open post.

However, I have a question about the zen kernel, on garuda (as with the other distros I imagine) I can replace the zen kernel which is installed by default with the zen 3 kernel. Since my processor is a Ryzen 7 5700k which has Zen 3 as its architecture , could I benefit from it, or do I leave the default garuda kernel?

I might even try doing benchmarks once I change kernels. to see if there are any differences.

I didn’t know that there’s a zen 3 kernel for garuda, maybe you could try both, would be good to have information about the difference, if there’s any. On paper garuda should be faster than eOS. I’m not entirely sure about all of these things I have mentioned, like I said I don’t look at the numbers, it just feels like that the games are smoother with these configs. But everything I have read about them suggests that they should give you a few extra frames.

3 thing you could try on every arch distro:

1. Switching kernels is easy, I’m sure you don’t need help with that.

2. Next easiest thing should be compiling proton and proton-ge with native -O3
    You can do it with yay with editing the PKGBUILD when it asks you too. You have to change the same thing in both packages. Change the local lines:

local march="${flags["-march"]:-nocona}"
    local mtune="generic" #"${flags["-mtune"]:-core-avx2}"

CFLAGS="-O3 -march=$march -mtune=$mtune -pipe -fno-semantic-interposition"
    CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=$march -mtune=$mtune -pipe -fno-semantic-interposition"
    RUSTFLAGS="-C opt-level=3 -C target-cpu=$march"
    LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed"

to this:

local march="native"
    local mtune="native"

To use the compiled packages you need to run steam with the native libraries(which you should do anyway) https://archlinux.org/packages/multilib/x86_64/steam-native-runtime/ you can select these protons in the compatibilty settings for each game.

1. If you want to try ALHP, you should follow the github description. But wait a few days, they’re a little bit behind with the package rebuilds right now, because of the recent python update.

With alhp I use this compilation flags for my ryzen 5700g, yours should be v3 too, but verify it to make sure:

local march="x86-64-v3"

CFLAGS="-O3 -march=$march -pipe -fno-semantic-interposition"
    CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=$march -pipe -fno-semantic-interposition"
    RUSTFLAGS="-C opt-level=3 -C target-cpu=$march"
    LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed"

Notice that I have removed, the mtune flag, it’s not needed if you use x86-64-vx. But if you don’t want to run dx11 games, you can just use the native flags.

These things should be the same on every arch based distro, but I’m not sure, might be different for special kernels, like that zen 3 one. I have installed endavour like 3 years ago, never felt that I want to install anything else. I might try cachy on a newer machine someday.

Also check if the performance mode is available for you, on gnome you can check here:

You can create a partition for a steamlibrary directory for these games, so you won’t have to download them for every distro. You can just import the same directory in multiple distros, saves space and time.

Well, I’m only writing now, because I’ve tried 3 kernels on EOS.

The “normal” Zen version, the Zen v3 version (for Zen 3 architectures like my processor), and the liquorix kernel.

Based on the tests I did, EOS with the normal Zen version seems to be stable, and there is an increase in performance (of a few fps, but it is there).

EOS with the Zen v3 version has a small increase, but less than the version with the normal Zen kernel, so much so that it is almost comparable to the version of EOS with its standard kernel. There seems to be some minor instability issues though, from what I’ve seen.

EOS with the Liquorix kernel has better in-game performance than with the Zen kernel, but it turns out to be a bit “unstable”, the games crash and some functions need to be fixed if possible (for example I couldn’t access the other hard disks because I felt like in error). In terms of performance it seems very promising, but the stability of the system suffers from what I’ve seen.

I don’t know if you can better adapt the kernel to the distro, or the distro to the kernel. Maybe there are distros that have fewer problems with this kernel, but it seems interesting.

I think I’ll study it a bit and try to delve deeper before doing something.

Well yes, I already did. I have a dedicated data hdd where I saved steam game backups. So it doesn’t take me long to restore them.

I don’t think you need backups, you just add the library as it is.