Just broke updating system using pacdiff

Don’t use sudo with a GUI text editor.

I’m not sure how to do it with Gedit, I don’t know if it even has polkit support. I use Kate.

But in your place, I’d use a terminal text editor, like nano:

sudo nano /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist

and paste in it with Shift+Insert. Then exit nano with Ctrl+X and press Y to save the file.

2 Likes

Wow, I did the command, nano came up with the endeavoros repo mirror file already there. How did it do that? Further, it goes further down the page then the part you copied and pasted… stuff below vietnam. Haven’t committed yet, just marveling…

Perhaps the file was already there and wasn’t destroyed?

Exit nano without saving, and look into the file (with cat for example).

2 Likes

oh wait I see, this is my commented file

Yes I used cat, can see the file, it just has all of the double pound signs in front of all the entries, so If I use nano to remove a few of the pound signs and save should fix right?

Only in front of the word “Server”, not in front of the country name. For endeavouros-mirrorlist, they are not commented out by default, as far as I can see.

For mirrorlist (Arch repos) they are.

2 Likes

O.K. decommented just the first server in Canada, saved file. Ran the 'update system tab from the welcome panel, and it now updating the system. cool…

To update the system, simply run

yay

Unless you’ve ranked the mirrorlists updates are going to be painfully slow.

To rank them, use rate-mirrrors, like I mentioned above. You can make a backup of those two mirror lists first, so you don’t have to bother with nano again:

sudo cp /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.backup
sudo cp /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist.backup

I wouldn’t bother with “Welcome”…

2 Likes

O.K. ran both rate -mirror commands without problems, ran yay, it searched the system, ran through a lot of mirrors looked like, and other things, ended with:

:: Synchronizing package databases…
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
endeavouros is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade…
there is nothing to do
:: Searching databases for updates…
:: Searching AUR for updates…
→ Flagged Out Of Date AUR Packages: python-pyparted
there is nothing to do

1 Like

Looks good to me.

You can now forget about mirrorlists until you notice that your updates are really slow.

Then just use rate-mirrors again:

rate-mirrors arch | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
rate-mirrors endeavouros | sudo tee /etc/pacman.d/endeavouros-mirrorlist

If you get .pacnew files for mirrorlists, you can ignore them. For other packages, however, do not ignore .pacnew files, but try to figure them out manually (ask if you’re unsure).

1 Like

Thank you for your help and patience, have only had this system up for about 2 1/2 weeks, so didn’t have much to work with on the knowledge side. I’m going to print this thread out and keep it somewhere…

1 Like

Or use the bookmark feature on the forum.

And mark it solved, please. I suggest my last post, as it contains all the important instructions. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.