Its better Install XFCE offline

Actually I was planning to do that for KDE , thanks :innocent:

Because I don’t know the arch way :crazy_face:

Okay, what is wrong with the Plasma option in our installer?

Well the internet is the problem :joy: :rofl:
After the internet reconnected the installer didn’t continue :frowning_face:

Anyway I will always install Xfce first and then Plasma .

1 Like

If you’d prefer to keep a desktop environment instead of just a window manager, I’d recommend LXDE. My last install a couple months ago was like 360mb of RAM.

The other side of that is it’s not nearly as much as your DE choice as it is your applications choice. My XFCE install was still under 500mb, but you need to be very careful what you’re doing.

Firefox is a resource hog. It can eat up 2gb of ram on its own with only a few windows open. I would swap that for palemoon or another lighter web browser.

Try and use terminal applications more if possible. MC is a wonderful file manager and uses practically zero RAM.

But LXDE and terminal applications, especially if you are in some zram/swap it should be a fairly usable computer.

3 Likes

Linux can deal with 2GB RAM . No problem there . Only application in my system that uses much RAM is Firefox . A few tabs shouldn’t be a problem . One can use OneTab extension for using more tabs .

1 Like

Enligtenment is seldom mentioned, but I can recommend it for those who are looking for a middle ground, before they’re ready to move on to tiling window managers.

It is very lightweight, about 300mb idle, and extremely configurable, almost like KDE. And the looks and functonality will be familiar coming from Xfce.

Personally, I’ve settled on Fluxbox at this stage, and I hope to stay there a while before moving on to something like I3WM. Loving it.

3 Likes

How I install lxde in this distribution open the terminal and use the command pacman -S lxde and ready install the DE not need prepare other things because all here its new for me

LXDE JWM its the best solution to old systems below 2 GB RAM other systems more speed its better KDE

XFCE works very good in this machime only evaluate later change to LXDE or JWM to less comsumption of RAM otherwise be all good whith preload and zswap activate be good

1 Like

I couldn’t. While I don’t normally go over 4gb ram a whole lot 2gb is almost instant for what I use my computer for.

And what exactly is you use your computer for :innocent:

2020-08-22_17-11 that’s my sytem when i do nothing :nail_care:

3 Likes

Firefox, Telegram…Doesn’t look like nothing :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

me doing nothing but all this starts automatic when i log in :wink: i do not want to start apps i do use every time by hand…
without:
2020-08-22_17-16

4 Likes