Issues with these apps not playing media files

None of the following applications play any media files:
Dragon Player
KMPlayer
Juk

When run in a terminal, here is what I get trying to open a .mp3 in Dragon Player:

$ dragon
Stopped state
updated actions
updated menus
set titles 
seekable changed to  false
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/applications.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/applications.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/applications.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/applications.so'"
kf.coreaddons: no metadata found in "/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so" "Failed to extract plugin meta data from '/usr/lib/qt/plugins/kf5/kio/desktop.so'"
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "application/kate" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "application/x-ogg-avi" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "application/x-ogm-audio" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "application/x-ogm-video" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "audio/x-alaw" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "audio/x-mulaw" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "audio/x-opus" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "audio/x-raw" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "audio/x-unaligned-raw" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "video/x-raw" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "video/x-unaligned-raw" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "application/kate" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "application/x-ogg-avi" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "application/x-ogm-audio" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "application/x-ogm-video" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "audio/x-alaw" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "audio/x-mulaw" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "audio/x-opus" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "audio/x-raw" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "audio/x-unaligned-raw" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "video/x-raw" is not a valid MIME type
kf.kio.filewidgets.kfilefiltercombo: "video/x-unaligned-raw" is not a valid MIME type
Opening QUrl("file:///home/pebcak/Music/Dire Straits/Alchemy.mp3")
detected mimetype:  "audio/mpeg"
Initial offset is  0
chapters:  0  titles:  0
going from  "Loading"  to  "Stopped"
Stopped state
updated actions
updated menus
set titles 

KMPlayer:

$ kmplayer
QCommandLineParser: already having an option named "h"
QCommandLineParser: already having an option named "help-all"
QCommandLineParser: already having an option named "v"
mplayer -wid 81789187 -slave -vo xv,sdl,x11 -ao alsa,oss,sdl,arts -framedrop -contrast 0 -brightness 0 -hue 0 -saturation 0 /home/pebcak/Music/Dire Straits/Alchemy.mp3 -identify

mplayer -wid 81789232 -slave -vo xv,sdl,x11 -ao alsa,oss,sdl,arts -framedrop -contrast 0 -brightness 0 -hue 0 -saturation 0 /home/pebcak/Music/Dire Straits/Alchemy.mp3 -identify

mplayer -wid 81789287 -slave -vo xv,sdl,x11 -ao alsa,oss,sdl,arts -framedrop -contrast 0 -brightness 0 -hue 0 -saturation 0 /home/pebcak/Music/Dire Straits/Alchemy.mp3 -identify

Juk:

$ juk

Reinstalling kiodoesn’t seem to help.
Elisa and VLC work just fine.
Any suggestion/pointer for solving the issue is highly appreciated.

Maybe this one:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=268825

1 Like

Thank you so much for pointing that out!

It certainly is the kind of “errors” I get. However, I haven’t noticed any malfunction in Dolphin as is reported by the OP of the thread over at Arch Forum.

As is suggested by one of the posters, it has to do with plasma-workspacesso I wonder if this is something which will be fixed by un update from upstreams.

Does any other Plasma users in here experience similar issue?

Just tried .mp3 and .mp4 files in players mentioned above, everything is working as supposed.

Hmmm… so I am the one being in trouble. :sweat_smile:

Thanks @razor for testing and your response!

1 Like

One great media player is mpv. But if that is not what you are looking for, then ignore this post. :wink:

2 Likes

No not at all, by all means! I do appreciate all the feedback and suggestions I could get. I do use and like mpv but since I am on a new install of Plasma and much of it is novelty to me, I just wanted to try out the “in-house” applications from KDE as well.

But now, when things are not working on my end, I wonder why and what are the causes. If I could do anything to make them work, then all the better.

I’m not really familiar with KDE offerings as I’m not (much) using it.
But interesting to see if a solution comes out! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Let’s, wait, hope and see!

A side note: many years ago I took some courses in Spanish. I learnt then that the word to be used both for to wait and to hope was “esperar”. I interpreted it as if in the Spanish mindset there is an element of hope while waiting. I try to practice that ever since.

1 Like

This not going to solve the issue but I only see one plugin that seems to be causing the issue. And from the Arch forum post and the error outputs you have posted, it seems something is wrong with plasma itself. I don’t think it’s a codec issue.

If you can play the mentioned files using a non-KDE-based player, that would confirm it’s caused by that plasma failure. Hopefully, an upstream update would fix it.

I have tried VLC and that works fine. Do you have any suggestion for any other to try? Preferably some which doesn’t bring in a whole lot of dependencies.

Audio players Exaile (Amarok clone based on GTK) or Cozy (GTK3). Don’t if they need a lot of dependencies. SMplayer it’s a front end for mpv and MPlayer it’s also based on Qt (I think you have most of the dependencies needed by this player).

They have not worked for years kmplayer once worked about 10 years ago.

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

Great first post!
Thanks for the input and welcome to EnOS’ Forum!

Tried SMplayer, started from a teminal, worked just fine.
Haven’t tried the others yet.

If that is so then it’s not part of QT because SMplayer uses QT and no KDE stuff (correct me if I’m wrong). So it leaves plasma as the culprit. Hopefully, KDE fixes this issue via an update. I won’t be able to go in-depth because I don’t use KDE. I’m an XFCE person :smiley:

Thanks for your suggestions and support! I appreciate it. Hopefully it is something that can be fixed upstreams.

On par with VLC the player to go to if vlc has problems which of late is quite often Lol

1 Like

@pebcak
Are you able to open terminal with right click if you open dolphin window and are in a folder such as downloads?

Yes, I have been so far. No issue with that. Even though launching Dolphin from terminal produces the same “errors”, I haven’t found any malfunctioning.