Issue with grub r261

Those aren’t two entries for the Manjaro install.

The UEFI OS entry boots the default OS.

They aren’t booting the same image. See the difference between:

and

They are booting completely different files.

Looks like so:

[manjaro ~]# ls -lR /boot/efi/EFI/
/boot/efi/EFI/:
total 8
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Nov 21  2020 boot
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Nov 21  2020 Manjaro

/boot/efi/EFI/boot:
total 232
-rwx------ 1 root root 237568 Nov 21  2020 bootx64.efi

/boot/efi/EFI/Manjaro:
total 228
-rwx------ 1 root root 233472 Aug 30 19:49 grubx64.efi

So should I remove one of the folders, for example /boot/efi/EFI/boot?

No, that is default. It is supposed to be there. If you want to, you can replace /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi with /boot/efi/EFI/Manjaro/grubx64.efi

Maybe grub-install should have removed that folder, or there should exist the command grub-remove to purge things that do’t work.

So doing this will always work?

sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/Manjaro/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi

What happens when grub and linux kernel gets updated?

Updates don’t generally trigger a re-installation of the EFI stub.

That being said, it isn’t required that you do that. You could also just ignore the default entry. It is better to boot the Manjaro one anyway.

What you really need to figure out is what it deleting your Manjaro entry.

Maybe there can’t be EFI entries for the same physical device, or maybe it’s the BIOS of the computer or some pacman or pamac update?

Also, I’ve backed up the EFI folder so I have a backup just in case without having to manjaro-chroot and grub-install again:

$ sudo -i
# cd /boot/efi/
# tar -czf EFI.tar.gz EFI/

Anyway why is there /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi if it’s not bootable? Wouldn’t make sense to just have only /boot/efi/EFI/Manjaro/grubx64.efi or better that grub writes to /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi directly? I don’t see why there must be 2, just more entries during boot selection and one doesn’t work.

That the fallback boot entry. It should always be present.

It shouldn’t be broken. You can replace it with one of the entries that works. Whichever you want to be the fallback.

The other entry is the one for Manjaro, that should be present too.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Grub 2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-1 won’t boot and goes straight to the BIOS after update

I’ll be the one to ask: why are you asking for help on this forum?

1 Like

When is the last time you perused that forum lol…

No idea what that has to do with anything. If the Manjaro forum doesn’t provide adequate support then people shouldn’t use Manjaro. :person_shrugging:

(But, it was some time towards the end of 2020, and at that point the forum was still a lively and effective community; I have no idea what’s happened if it has changed since then.)

3 Likes

Because I was referred to this forum, and also because the grub issue is not manjaro-only related. The thing with EFI entries disappearing could happen also in endeavouros’s boot partition… hope not.

This sounds very different to the issue described here, The latest grub package update needs some manual intervention

Manjaro builds some of their own packages, and keeps various packages at different versions to Arch and close Arch-derivatives (e.g. EnOS). Manjaro is its own special case and needs to be treated as such. Just because people here are helpful doesn’t mean they should be expected to help with every problem that looks similar.

I know thank you. Maybe the cause is this?

Since you clearly have that problem where you fallback entry was broken, it seems likely that is the cause. Perhaps fixing your fallback entry as I described earlier will resolve the issue long-term

2 Likes

What would be the exact command?

sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/Manjaro/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi
2 Likes

Great this is what I already did. Tried rebooting twice and both entries are there and both load successfully Manjaro.
Solved.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.